Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HeavenIsOtherDogs t1_irclqyj wrote

Depends on how badly you want to get out. But expect unexpected expenses, especially car repairs.

TCPottery t1_ircm51n wrote

Enough for your rental deposits and first months rent, utilities, groceries, transportation (including insurance/fuel/or other transportation) plus three months budget to cover any unexpected unemployment. If you own a car, consider banking enough to cover unexpected repairs/insurance deductible.

Also, if one is looking to move into a shared living space, remember that everyone on a lease is solely responsible for the monthly rent. Landlords don't allow you to stay because YOU paid your portion.

RunnyDischarge t1_ircqdvk wrote

You need a job and roommates roommates roommates. Some of the best times of my life were when I was young and poor and renting a house with four or five people. Outside of work, most of those people are my friends now.

RBatman2022 t1_irclg4i wrote

I do not have an exact number but. It would need to cover the cost of living and extra's if needed.

Synapse82 t1_ircu9q7 wrote

You don’t need much, enough for first and last deposit on an apartment. As long as you are fully employed and have your bills planned out.

IndicationOver t1_ircwfvp wrote

Such a generic question, how much is you job?

What is you debt and expenses.

Ask the question again.

Last-Instruction739 t1_ird1cev wrote

In my personal experience…Like negative 37 dollars, but it was 2003 and my giant 3 bedroom place with 2 roomies was $500 split 3 ways…

New Britain back in tha day. We skateboarded in our apartment. Good times.

Now what about today? I’m guessing you need 6 months worth of rent money at least.

19GK50 t1_irdcivf wrote

Mine saved between 6 and 9 months of wages; Our son had an easier time he had a damn good job. It took our daughter a bit longer.

Phantastic_Elastic t1_ireh58w wrote

Most people live paycheck to paycheck, honestly. Would have should have could have etc. You move out when you can't stand out any more, or opportunity presents itself.

Ftheyankeei t1_irfovm7 wrote

I moved to CT with a cushion of $15,000 in my early-mid 20s and never saw my bank account drop below $8,000. I also spend more than the average person. I'd say mid-four-figures and you should be safe in most instances.

Babelette t1_ircqh02 wrote

5-10k is probably enough.

JaKr8 t1_ird0vvo wrote

It depends on what kind of life style you want to have. I probably wouldn't pack up and go until I had a stable job for a while, even though jobs are fairly plentiful, Because you don't want to be stuck working somewhere you hate just to make your rent payment....

I'd do the same thing that any financial adviser recommends, an absolute minimum of 3 months, ideally 6 months of living expenses.. In this case I would include your anticipated rent in whatever location you're planning on moving to. 6 months of expenses living free at your parents house is a lot different than 6 months expenses in an apartment.....