Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GoPikachuGo1 t1_iu8s3p9 wrote

I was a custodian for a year until, due to the school's negligence, I was injured on the job. Fortunately I am now able to collect disability checks, which helps. I get to travel and work full time on my novel now but I digress.

Teachers appeared very lazy to me. Always on their phones, like I said always complaining, their union makes it impossible to fire them so they just clearly don't care about the job. Cameras would increase transparency and accountability. This is necessary.

−2

No_Arm_931 t1_iu8siqj wrote

Very sorry to hear about your injury, I’m glad you’re able to collect disability.

My experience in schools is clearly very different. I have not witnessed the same issue with teachers being on their phones and not caring.

How would cameras help? Who’s going to review the footage? How would this be paid for? How would an administrator know if a teacher was using their phone for personal reasons instead of school-related matters?

If anything, this money should go to extra supports for students. More school social workers. It’s difficult for a kid to learn when they’re navigating other issues that don’t get addressed due to of a lack of funding for such positions.