Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sld06003 t1_ite6afr wrote

It might not be anything you are doing wrong. The fireplace might not be constructed properly. My father in law had to install some sort of plate on top in front because the same thing was happening and it worked like a charm. Not sure what that piece is called though.

LookingM4FnearUCONN OP t1_ite7396 wrote

Oooh can you find out? House was built in 1900

sld06003 t1_itfl2fe wrote

From my father in law...

It is called a smoke guard. Mine has adjustable extensions so it fits most fireplaces around my size. Most fireplace dealers would know because it is a common problem. But if you go for that option, bring a photo and measurements. It may be the case that the metal frame front you have will make it difficult for an adjustable guard like mine to be really effective against escaping smoke. The ends of mine press against the side wall of the fireplace and the top presses against the underside of the bricks forming the inside top. If that seal is not tight you could still get smoke in the house. There may be other ways to seal it.

Ordinary_Guitar_5074 t1_ite8s1t wrote

That fireplace might not be meant for a wood fire. In those days it was common to burn coal in a fireplace and the fireplace was constructed just for that purpose. They were very shallow fireplaces. Is your’s very shallow? I mean can a human fit inside if they crouched real small? If not it may just not be meant for burning wood.

LookingM4FnearUCONN OP t1_ite97ds wrote

I thought it was a little shallow but it’s not deep like the huge houses on tv. But a fire log rack? Fits in there

Ordinary_Guitar_5074 t1_ite9dhh wrote

Yeah. But just barely right?

LookingM4FnearUCONN OP t1_ite9u3j wrote

No a good 4 inches on both ends and 2 front and back? Idk if that is barely?

Ordinary_Guitar_5074 t1_itea4h2 wrote

Yeah. I think you may have a coal fireplace. Good news and bad news in this article. But my guess is that it wasn’t designed for the size fore you are trying to use it for and so the chimney is simply overwhelmed.

https://www.victorianfireplaceshop.com/can-you-burn-wood-in-a-coal-fireplace