Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Best_Ad340 t1_iu8lhok wrote

Reply to comment by silasmoeckel in I’m blind by soulofsoniy

"pretty good" sounds like this tech isn't ready for road use.

silasmoeckel t1_iu8ngvs wrote

Would rate it better than many human drivers.

Best_Ad340 t1_iu8nmfn wrote

Yeah, that's probably true but this tech has been out overseas for many years. Funny that it's still only "pretty good".

silasmoeckel t1_iu93qms wrote

I tend to have very high standards for tech. I'm an engineer.

Where I would see the other cars lights around a corner and go to low beams it waits until it can see the car comming. Similar it puts on high beams when a car gets very far out but I would not turn on my highs if I can see a car in front at all. It's pushing to keep the high beams on for as long as possible like your having problems seeing without them, that is a somewhat safe assumption. Where I'm normally looking for the extra distance to see a deer in the verge and the like, think the tech is setup so a 70+ year old feels safe.

Best_Ad340 t1_iu951lh wrote

Same here, I'm a toolmaker and overall nerd. I'm pretty fussy about quality and function.

You are probably correct with your assessment, companies are trying to idiot-proof everything. God forbid we actually teach situational awareness and ensure those 70+ year olds can actually operate a vehicle safely.

WrightS5 t1_iu9e2yt wrote

My Jeep does an excellent job of dimming. It even dims when I’m turning. I think it may be the manufacturer’s technology.