Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

virtualchoirboy t1_iyd0rn3 wrote

Laudable effort but most of this latest increase is due to the increase in the fuel they use to power the generator plants and because of how the state laws are structured, PURA could never stop them. The latest hike is an increase in generation rate. Don't want to pay the new generation rate? Find an alternate provider that has a better rate. I got lucky and locked in with Direct Energy last year for 33 months at 10.19 c/kWh. I have 21 months left at that rate.

Now, if they were increasing the delivery charges, that would be something that can and should be fought. The charges levied by Eversource are rapacious and, for most people, make up the majority of their bill.

dirtiestofbuttholes t1_iyeejev wrote

I see these posts stating “the reality” and supporting eversource. The reality is I think you commenters are astroturfing and prolly eversource paid people.

The reality is that eversource is profiting obscene amounts regardless of this recent price hike.

The reality is that eversource increases their prices twice a year every year.

The reality is there profits are increasing, not staying the same or going down.

The reality is that connecticut residents are getting fucked on the cost of electricity compared to the rest of the country.

So what can they do? They can stop price hikes, and they could choose to cover these increased costs and keep the price of electricity the same. That would mean they make less profits than they’re used to. But they won’t do that of course.

So yes, fuck eversource is truly our reality here

john46ct OP t1_iyd1em7 wrote

we (the state) regulates a number of things with bipartisan bodies and resources. For utilities we have PURA and a consumer council who are strictly gubernatorial appointees (one party appointees) and there are only 3 PURA commissioners and 1 consumer council

G3Saint t1_iyd3qtd wrote

CT State government does not regulate private generation. The energy supply market was deregulated in the late 90s by theState Republican administration. One thing Lamont could of done was push for natural gas pipeline expansion and get approval for the Killingly gas plant. Both of those would of mitigated the jump in generation costs we have today.

[deleted] t1_iyd89u3 wrote

[deleted]

G3Saint t1_iyejqwx wrote

True. it was both. The vote was 126-7 and 27-7 and Rowland signed it. it was also backed by the CBIA. Its ironic that critics said it would increase rates.

UnfairAd7220 t1_iydp56x wrote

Cork the Iroquois line to Long Island and use that gas in Mystic.

Seeing that NY state won't let any more pipelines cross 'their ' state to make gas available to all of New England, it seems they should be the ones who are on the hot seat, not us.

virtualchoirboy t1_iyd6bo9 wrote

First, let me be clear... I hate Eversource just as much as anyone else here. That being said, I also think people need to understand what drives the prices they pay.

So let me put my initial point another way - if the cost of fuel for the generation plants is more than Eversource can recoup in generation rate charges, state law allows them to increase the rate so that they're not losing money on generating electricity. It's fairly straight forward and is what this latest rate increase is all about.

A large portion of the generation plants use natural gas. At the start of the year, gas prices were around $15-$16 per thousand cubic feet. In August, that price had risen to $31-$32.

Instead of trying to block a rate increase to cover the cost of generating the electricity we are using, we should be looking at either pushing for public ownership of the utilities or capping the profit that can be made with anything in excess of that amount going back to the consumers.

littlerob904 t1_iydyehc wrote

Just to add a little clarification here. When the energy markets were deregulated, Eversource (then Northeast Utilities as a delivery company) was separated from any generation assets they owned. The generation rate paid on your eversource bill is a direct result of Eversource going out on the wholesale market and "buying" power from generators and then passing the cost on to the users. Eversource delivers you the electricity, they don't generate it. They do this through negotiating different contracts with different supply companies. This winter the massive increase in natural gas and fossil fuel prices is what's driving the increase in electricity generation. It pretty much happens every winter, although its happening on a much larger scale now.

If we want to solve this as a state, we badly need shift away from our huge reliance on natural gas which is somewhere around 55% of our current supply. The ONLY way to do this in a cost effective manner is to bring more nuclear online in CT. Less gas going to electricity generation will also have the dual effect of lowering home heating costs for gas users.

More renewables can help in the long run, and should be a bigger part of the diversification as well, but you can't solve this problem without nuclear.

john46ct OP t1_iyd7s21 wrote

Much agreed - look at wallingford

hard-time-on-planet t1_iydsswv wrote

Wallingford does have a better reputation for having lower delivery charges but I would expect when they announce 2023 generation rates there's will be higher too.

Old article but relevant quote:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/wallingford-provides-power-and-savings-for-residents/2311562/

> The town operated its own power plant at one time.

> Today, it buys electricity on the market. So, Hendershot said it does share some of the same cost concerns as Eversource