Submitted by corcoran_jon t3_yxqal6 in Connecticut

Hello,

I'm applying for a passport for the first time and when I looked up passport registration/application locations, the only available office listed is in Stamford, CT.

Are there really no other locations in this state to get a passport processed?

Stamford is a good two hours away from where I live in New London County.

Edit: Didn't realize that your local post office can take care of applications. Thank you.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

IsThatYourBed t1_iwpvv8y wrote

You can do it at the post office. You only need to go to Stamford if you need it rushed

tempertempest t1_iwpwpem wrote

This is the correct answer. You can schedule appointments online and it shows you the post offices in your area that can do it. I did it in August and got my passport in about six weeks, if that helps you plan.

corcoran_jon OP t1_iwpw1js wrote

Oh, how silly of me. That's great to know, thanks!

Kodiak01 t1_iwqclv8 wrote

Also, if as part of your travels you plan on getting TSA Precheck, they now have partnered with various Staples locations for the appointments, typically with only 1 day's notice.

PM_ME_YOUR_ANYTHNG t1_iwqd7ln wrote

Don't forget your passport card as well, no reason not to get it and it counts for a federal ID if you need it but also doesn't list your address if you care about that

traddad t1_iwq1z57 wrote

You can also take your own passport photo. There are several apps for your phone that will correctly size the photo and put 4 on a single 4x6 jpg.

Then upload it to Wallgreens/CVS and pay $0.28 for a 4x6 instead of $16.99 for a passport photo.

Here are some examples: https://fixthephoto.com/best-passport-photo-app.html

I did my last two passports this way. No problems at all.

corcoran_jon OP t1_iwq37fh wrote

This is another great tip, had no idea. Thank you so much.

PhilipLiptonSchrute t1_iwpu7jr wrote

I walked down to the Hartford library on my lunchbreak one day and did it there. They have a designated desk/person in there for that kind of thing.

rbyellow6 t1_iwpvh6s wrote

US passports are all by mail, and the passport office is only necessary for rush and emergency issues.

clonesareus t1_iwrrfee wrote

No - for first time passports you have to apply in person. For renewals it’s by mail.

rbyellow6 t1_iwugu2m wrote

And that first time does not need to be at the passport office, any town hall can do it and mail it in.

clonesareus t1_iwuo2vq wrote

Well yes, but you still need to go in person and have an appointment. You can't mail it in yourself if it's not an adult renewal.

connfaceit t1_iwqguzm wrote

if you have AAA they provide a free passport photo and then you can print up the application, fill it out, and bring everything to the post office where they will make sure it all looks good and send it on their way.

Malkor t1_iwqo86h wrote

Yup its been years since I've done mine there but it was pretty straightforward/hassleless.

Int my case it was a tiny AAA office so real quick!

thenisaidbitch t1_iwrhxsc wrote

Passport in Stamford is only for rush jobs and honestly they do a good job getting things done same day. For future reference tho I’m in the same area and taking an Amtrak to Stamford is quick and easy from New LOndon :)

thenisaidbitch t1_iwrhz6e wrote

Passport in Stamford is only for rush jobs and honestly they do a good job getting things done same day. For future reference tho I’m in the same area and taking an Amtrak to Stamford is quick and easy from New LOndon :)