Submitted by AllTheSport2812 t3_z2gbdb in Connecticut

I grew up in Westport & Fairfield. I moved to NJ for college at 18 and never left, so 18 years now. Moving my family back to CT this summer, but not to Fairfield County for the same reason we're leaving NJ, it's too crowded (though NJ is much worse).

We're deciding between the Farmington Valley (Simsbury, Avon, Canton, Farmington), Glastonbury, and either Madison or Guilford. I am familiar with the FV because my father and a few cousins are from Simsbury, but only ever passed through the other towns and not for a long time now.

Can the collective sub share advantages, or mainly disadvantages to those areas/towns? Thanks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ijuanaspearfish t1_ixgagd9 wrote

I mean you grew up in a very wealthy area and your choices are overall just as affluent

Can't see any wrong decision.

I grew up in Avon so im kind of biased towards it.

AllTheSport2812 OP t1_ixgcrhe wrote

Yeah I mean definitely seem wealthy nationally but compared to where I live now and compared to where I grew up, housing prices are dramatically cheaper in those towns from what I'm seeing. I'm in a 2 bedroom town house now and looking at 4 bedrooms on 1/2 to full acre of land in all those towns that are around the same price as my townhouse give or take 50K.

TriStateGirl t1_ixggs8u wrote

Forget Farmington. Too stuck up. Try West Hartford or Newington. So much nicer.

Vote4SovietBear t1_ixh012m wrote

Great areas, you’re looking in the right places. A few thoughts on FV since I grew up in Farmington and lived in Avon for a few years

• Farmington recently voted to build a new high school. The new high school is a great thing in and of itself. It also suggests that folks in town understand the importance of investing in schools and I’d be hopeful future votes would reflect that.
  • Not sure what your budget is, but Avon probably has more higher end homes than Farmington. Some big homes in both towns on the mountain on the eastern parts of the towns
  • I got the impression from my parents that Avon was a little more expensive than Farmington. For example, Farmington provides trash/recycling. In Avon, I’m pretty sure we had to pay extra for it to be picked up.
  • There are lots of rails to trails in the FV if you’re into walking / running / biking

gravel-wagon t1_ixh1i3m wrote

Having spent a decent amount of time either living or working in all of those regions, definitely Guilford and Madison. They're the least crowded-feeling of any of the towns you listed. Madison has one of the nicest town beaches in the state (Surf Club), and Guilford has one of the nicest town greens along with town beaches on both LI sound and a beautiful lake. They also have the easiest access to New Haven, including a rail line. New Haven is a better city than Hartford in nearly every way.

If those towns are a bit too sleepy, my next pick would be Glastonbury. It's nice and has a more built-up downtown area, and it's close to Hartford.

Personally though I can't stand the Farmington valley area. The main roadways there were never designed for the amount of people that actually live there. It feels congested but in the woods, imo it's kinda the worst of both worlds. Anything on route 4 anywhere around commuting hours kinda highlights my point. Taking 84 into Hartford also sucks in general through that area. The canal trail is nice, though, so it has that going for it.

roadpupp t1_ixh1oim wrote

I grew up in Glastonbury. Great town and my pick for the Hartford area. Really recommend the Shoreline. Branford, Guilford are close to New Haven and the train to NYC. The summer vibe is the best in a beach town. Madison is a good bet as well.

comish4lif t1_ixh4do1 wrote

I'm in Southington, you didn't mention it but it fits with the other towns you mentioned. It's a good town, lots of restaurants, has the trail.

Where are you going to be working?

Suitable_Habit3846 t1_ixh5j7k wrote

When we relocated out to CT we initially moved to Madison. Nice town, very slow outside of summer. Also not much for conveniences or shopping so consider proximity to things you would want or need to do. Our rental was on a private beach so we had that going for us.

Now we live in the FV and it seems to have everything we need while not being crowded or busy. Biggest complaint I hear is it takes so long to get there. It’s about 15 min from 84 for me to get home. A bit annoying but I like the area and space. For this area also consider proximity to things you want and need to do. We felt the proximity to activities was better here. We also feel the schools are a bit better here.

STODracula t1_ixh7mh4 wrote

If you have to have quiet, then move to Simsbury. It's the bear sighting capital of CT.

yudkib t1_ixh8o0g wrote

If you think FFC is too crowded overall (despite that Weston Easton Wilton are super sparse if you’re willing to make the drive), I would skip FV. Glastonbury might be worse, which has a lot more strips of well developed commercial property and attracts the corresponding traffic. So I guess that leaves Madison and Guilford. I’m across the way in Clinton and am very happy here. It is definitely a trade-off to be a half hour from the nearest Home Depot or big box store, but I accepted that trade to be in a quieter and less crowded town. You can’t have it both ways, but if you wanted to try, Glastonbury would be the place.

marua06 t1_ixhbb9w wrote

Guilford and Madison both have the small town New England feel. Both are especially great if you have kids, as the schools are excellent and there is a lot to do. Just know that while the quaint is strong in both towns, it also means you’ll be driving to most big box stores when you need to. They are sleepier in the summer but don’t get the tourist influx that the Old Saybrook area does so it’s not as jarring of a change when summer is over. Honestly I’d consider commute over everything when choosing.

willc38 t1_ixhh8fx wrote

I think all of the towns you listed are good choices. Maybe spend a day in each town before the move and see which one fees like home. Personally I really like Simsbury, every time I go there I think “this town is really nice.”

afleetingmoment t1_ixhipyi wrote

If you're really trying to get away from the vibe of NJ/Fairfield County, and you have this much flexibility, I would definitely go Madison or Guilford. There is just an entirely different vibe there, with lower population and a more beachy feel.

Personally I find the Farmington Valley area just as complicated and crowded as any NYC suburb. Think "the one road with every big box store on it that backs up every Saturday by 10 AM." Which, is not a bad thing at all, but it sounds like your goal is to find somewhere different.

eastst328 t1_ixho8my wrote

You will need buckets of money.

gatogrande t1_ixi3r05 wrote

I'd say depends where your job is...unless you're totally remote. Commute in and out of that valley to Hartford area sucks unless off hrs

houle333 t1_ixihzd1 wrote

You are delusional for saying southington fits in on a list of top towns in non Fairfield county CT.

You are delusional for such an absurd response to being called out on it.

And you are delusional for responding to OP's specific questions about specific towns with "Hey look at me I'm so important that you should move to the town that I live in that isn't on your list because I'm so important"

−1

coolducklingcool t1_ixivwx7 wrote

Don’t forget northern Fairfield County 🤷🏻‍♀️ Pretty different from the Gold Coast.

Toroceratops t1_ixki0j5 wrote

I also moved from NJ to CT and live in Avon. I’ve got an acre on the woods with a bigger home for less money than it cost me in NJ. Good neighbors, excellent schools, good food (including grocery stores) and shopping options close by. It’s a nice centralized location without being too crowded or too remote.

Plane_Ad_9526 t1_ixkmgze wrote

I know you mentioned staying out of FFC. I’m originally from there too, and recently just moved back to CT from Northern Virginia. I settled in Ridgefield, and had the same concerns of FFC being too crowded as well. Ridgefield has one of the most picturesque main streets, excellent schools, and is “ off the beaten path” compared to my hometown of NC and its neighbors of Darien, Stamford, and the rest of the coast. I’m 20 minutes from shopping in Danbury, 20 from Norwalk, and can catch MetroNorth either in Katonah, NY or Norwalk as I occasionally have to go into the city for work.

FV has always had a strange feel to me, but couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I think part of it is being isolated from major hubs of NY or Boston, the coast, and the ghost town Hartford becomes after 5pm, but that might just be what you’re looking for. Both Madison and Guilford are beautiful towns as well with New Haven offering so much more than Hartford. Of course, just my two cents. Happy hunting.

Disgruntasaurus t1_ixmfa50 wrote

Please consider this, OP. Your commute can make or break your day if you have to use main roads or highways. 95 is constantly a mess. 84 slightly less so. 91 is still hanging in there but the volume of people is becoming more of a problem each day.

You see, our residents can’t get their nose out of their phone for more than 2 seconds at a time and even if they could they forgot that the sun exists low in the horizon at times so we must all come to a complete stop every time the highway turns towards the sunlight. You know, cause you can’t see it coming and there is no such thing as a visor or pair of sunglasses.

Derp.

Edit: formatting

brando294 t1_ixopjdn wrote

Northwest hills. Best area in the state.

curbthemeplays t1_ixr9cb0 wrote

Madison and Guilford are pretty damn perfect. Especially if you want quiet.

Bonus points for always being in reach of New Haven for food and culture fix.