Submitted by djjazzyjess18 t3_z6dp0x in Connecticut

Hi, I’m interested in learning more about becoming a game warden if anyone has any knowledge they’d like to share with me! My general questions are how long is the training, how intense is the training, cost of academy tuition, where to apply, when does it start. I can only get so much information out of general information websites and honestly I’m just looking for someone to chat with about it and their experiences if there is a game warden on the sub. Thanks for any of your help!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Likeapuma24 t1_iy135ow wrote

I looked into it years ago, having law enforcement experience in the military. At the time, I believe they also required a degree as well. It's a tough position to get, due to limited numbers & a lot of qualified applicants.

If you just want to be do law enforcement in nature a lot, take a look at VT State Police. Met a few while at snowmobile checkstops & they were pitching applying. The highlights were you get issued a truck, boat, quad, kayak, & snowmobile... Basically everyone else works for. Things might have changed, that was likely a decade ago.

Whydoyouhatefreedom t1_iy0xaal wrote

You do NOT pay for academy tuition, the state does. You have to take and pass the protective services/ state police written exam. Then you have to pass the Physical Fitness test that will include swimming and treading water. Idk if you plan to go to college but somewhere like UConn with Natural resources will help, and so will a Military background. There’s very few openings every few years if at all.

TimeTraveler3056 t1_iy0uusn wrote

Dan Hayden has written a fiction series The Game Warden on Amazon. We heard him speak at our library about his personal experiences as a Game Warden.

summersofftoride t1_iy0y1ux wrote

They had applications open until this past Friday. Looks like you missed a good opportunity

djjazzyjess18 OP t1_iy11zk8 wrote

Can you point me in the direction of the application at least? Or someone I could talk to about a late fee?