Submitted by sconzey t3_z8w6hq in Connecticut

I'm a UK national with a UK drivers license, in the US on a work visa and living in the beautiful state of Connecticut.

I understand that I can drive for at least 3 months on my UK drivers license, but equally that I will need to get a Connecticut drivers license.

For a new driver the process seems simple: get a learners permit, hold it for 90 days, complete an 8-hour safe driving course, finally pass the on-the-road driving test.

Do I have to go through all these steps myself, even though I have been driving in the UK for over 10 years ? The 90-day requirement is particularly concerning, because I think I need an IDP to use my UK license after three months.

Has anyone been through this process before and can give me some pointers ?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Free-Veterinarian714 t1_iydmoss wrote

I checked the state DMV website and my understanding is that an International Driver Permit is only needed if your license is in a language other than English or Spanish. Also you can drive in Connecticut for up to 1 year on a foreign license if it's in either of those two languages.

I could be wrong on something, though. The CT DMV allows you to schedule an appointment online for the nearest office. So my recommendation is to schedule an appointment at one of the offices to get clarification.

sconzey OP t1_iyds0sk wrote

>I checked the state DMV website and my understanding is that an International Driver Permit is only needed if your license is in a language other than English or Spanish.

This is my understanding of it too. I've asked the same questions on the DMV contact form, but I think you're right-- I should book an appointment.

muteflower t1_iye0c1s wrote

Since you have a UK license, I don’t think you need to wait the 90 days after you get your learners permit- only restriction is that you need to attend the 8hr session on DUI.

Alternatively you can continue driving on your UK license for a longer period- it’s not 3 months

kesagatame-and-Chill t1_iydx5q1 wrote

No one gets pulled over, so I doubt you will run into problems.

-Gaunter-O-Dimm t1_iyer61u wrote

What part of the state are you usually driving in? I see people pulled over almost every other day on 84 West