Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CT_Patriot t1_iwzmusf wrote

Look for the mountain peak icon on the tires.

Besides that, one of the best winter tires are made by Nokian.

Just be smart to know when to drive and when not to.

And, when you do, take your time, keep a great distance from other cars.

Front wheel drive tends to "plow" when in bad snow, so just use your head on if it warrants driving or not and the urgency.

Kayakinggypsy t1_iwzny2k wrote

Unfortunately I work for a hospital which requires me to drive no matter what. I do take precautions like sleeping there if there’s a big storm when I have to work but sometimes I just gotta drive. Thanks for your info

CT_Patriot t1_iwzpk1m wrote

Maybe invest in a Subaru Outback or Forester in the future..The type of 4-wheel drive Subaru uses is different than other 4 -wheel style cars/SUV's.

The Outback has been known for its ability to deal with all kinds of snow and ice. I drive one for work purposes and yes they are that good.

But, as the saying goes...."it's the nut that holds the wheel" when operating in poor weather conditions.

You could also use temporary chain-style straps that have metal plates to grip ice. They can be left in your trunk until things get real bad and you MUST go.

Learn how to install/deinstall them so you are prepared.

Kayakinggypsy t1_iwzqmei wrote

When it’s time for a new vehicle I def will look into 4 wheel drive. Just looking for a cheaper solution for now.

CT_Patriot t1_iwzti75 wrote

For New England weather, nothing beats an Outback unless you go for more detailed dedicated 4-wheel drive Jeep/Pickup.

The biggest drawback for the Outback is the CVT transmission. Not a great transmission and you got to get used to the way it drives.

The Nokian tires that are the most aggressive dedicated snows are the Hakkapeliitta normally for SUV's. I believe they make some for cars too.

Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice tires are excellent for cars.

Put whichever tires on spare wheels so you use them only for winter to extend their life and switch back to all-weather tires or the multi season with the three peak winter snowflake tires.

Remember, winter tires have a softer more forgiving rubber, they wear faster once the snow is gone, so use them strickly on snow or they will wear out quickly.

Kayakinggypsy t1_ix028sh wrote

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Appreciate it

CT_Patriot t1_ix0761u wrote

You are quite welcome.

Never hurts to get as much input and responses as possible to make a choice that will impact you in many ways ...👍

pelliosophelus t1_ix1ta2y wrote

Blizzaks are awesome. I have a Prius and can’t imagine a worse car for snow but with the blizzaks I was fully mobile.