Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

neojinnx t1_iyzrq1m wrote

Reply to comment by megapeptobismol in Homesteaders by megapeptobismol

I'm not the person you were originally responding to but I'm chiming in because my SO and I are in the planning stage of building a coop for approximately 6-ish backyard chickens come spring. Do you have any design tips we should take into account? There are so many opinions out there. I'd like to have buff and lavender Orpingtons.

megapeptobismol OP t1_iyzuuy0 wrote

Hi, yes. For starters easy to clean and easy access.

If you are using an existing room in a barn or garage, it usually easier. We use a part of our small barn.

https://www.thespruce.com/free-chicken-coop-plans-1357113

A safety tip, do no use space heater inside coops. Be aware that rodent may start coming in, chickens are rodent magnets. Facing coop windows south help with natural light for the girls. I recommend buying little solar power lights you can screw on the sides of your coop to help with light in case a predator ventures by.

himewaridesu t1_iyzueev wrote

I can tell you that you need to make sure there’s a “run” open air aspect (covered in chicken wire on three sides) which has a door to connect to their closed home (the part that looks like a shed). Make sure the door for you to get in is large enough for your body. You can use real shingles on the roof parts or the specialized asphalt.

north7 t1_iz0nytw wrote

Don't forget to check your local zoning laws.
In my town there are specific laws around how many chickens you can have, how far coops have to be from property lines, etc.

yankeeinparadise t1_iz0dgxg wrote

We built our coop using leftover wood we removed when we updated our basement. I can send you a pic if you'd like.