Submitted by RosesAndInk t3_zwfhrt in Connecticut

Looking for the best thrift stores or consignment stores in CT (preferably east of the river... tolland/windham/new London counties) bonus points if they offer women's plus sizes and/or mens big and tall

Thanks so much!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HRzNightmare t1_j1uczpj wrote

There are very few independent shops. My gf thrifts, and she stopped going to the independent shops altogether because they raised their prices when thrifting became popular and chic. She primarily goes to GoodWill, a couple of times a week.

TreeEleben t1_j1w3mba wrote

Goodwill has tripled prices since the pandemic. Shelves of broken target returns and dollar tree merchandise priced higher than retail.

RosesAndInk OP t1_j1uh0rj wrote

Ugh that's my problem...was hoping there were some hidden gems I didn't know about ..thanks tho!

bettercactusbuttplug t1_j1uy5o9 wrote

If you're looking specifically for clothes, I always recommend at least checking out Plato's Closet. They buy and resell "in fashion" clothes and you can get some really good deals there and they usually have a good array of up to 4x clothes that I've seen. I got a basically new pair of docs for $40. There's one in South Windsor :) Not sure about the men's big and tall for that though.

reed12321 t1_j1w7znn wrote

In Deep River there’s one of the best thrift stores you will ever find. It’s called PRP - Pandemonium Rainforest Project. It is both a thrift store and exotic animal sanctuary. 100% of their proceeds go to saving exotic animals. They get everything in donation, and they even have a cafe in there to get more money. The entire upper floor is mostly clothing (there’s some decor and a kids area), and the downstairs is everything else. My wife and I have spent a lot of money in there and have also donated a ton of stuff. I know it’s a little outside your general area, but it’s right off of exit 5 on Rte 9. You can see it from the highway.

In Old Saybrook, there’s The Cedar Chest. They have a store with tons of clothes, and next door is furniture.

Right around the corner from Cedar Chest is The Estuary. I’ve never been in because they have weird hours, but it also looks like mostly clothes.

I know they’re outside your area but you could make a trip out of it and go to all 3 since they’re close to each other.

dub56 t1_j25q99s wrote

i totally agree with prp. It's the best

issuesintherapy t1_j1uhv2n wrote

Bliss Marketplace in Willimantic.

[deleted] t1_j1uqhtb wrote

[deleted]

merryone2K t1_j1uxo7e wrote

I freaking ADORE Witch Bitch Thrift - discovered them at the Punk Rock Flea Market in Southington. They DO have plus size clothing and really cool vintage-y stuff.

merryone2K t1_j1uxa23 wrote

https://www.thethriftshopper.com
That site lets you sort by zip code. If you ever find yourself west of the river, there's a little "independent charity thrift shop trail", if you will, which would take you to the three shops at Southbury Training School, The Upper Room (Southbury), Safe Haven Thrift (Southbury), The Red Barn (Woodbury), and The Clothes Tree (Bantam), among others. HMU if you take a trek; I'm the manager of The Red Barn. :D

EJWP t1_j1vd3os wrote

I tried the URL. My zip code (Stratford) resulted in multiple goodwill, stores, and a place in Long Island. 😕

merryone2K t1_j1wuoe9 wrote

Might be better off just using Stratford, CT, then? I don't know how often they update/maintain.

And hey! Long Island is just a quick ferry trip away, amiright? LOL!

bellirage t1_j1ulck2 wrote

Hmmm, I mean Putnam is antique wonderland but you would really have to dig to find clothes through all the other junk.

redditfromct t1_j1utks5 wrote

Ellington Fine Consignments - in plaza behind Kloter Farms

Good-Avocado-495 t1_j1xjlv2 wrote

I do pretty well at the Uptown Consignment in S. Windsor, I feel like they used to have more plus sized clothes than they do now but it may just be the way they rearranged them that makes me think so. I also hit the Savers at Buckland while I am over there, I go to a bunch of other places around (many mentioned by others above) but those two are probably my most frequent.

InvaderDepresso t1_j1xzvff wrote

Witch Bitch Thrift in new haven is great for plus size.

zefy_zef t1_j1uud6e wrote

Savers is good if there's one over that way.

BoudiccasWrath79 t1_j1vnxh2 wrote

Thread & Nail! There’s one in Colchester and Uncasville.

curbthemeplays t1_j1wi176 wrote

Other than the usual chains, there is Fashionista, Witch Bitch Thrift, Lower Forms, Vintanthro, and EBM Vintage, all in New Haven.