Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CT_Patriot t1_iz9huke wrote

Yeah, they sometimes add too much. It just pours through a pipe as they apply paint, the glass beads are flowing way too much that what doesn't cure in the paint gets off to the sides.

Also, slippery as hell too...the glass beads.

I'd rather see the imbedded reflective markers. Those light up really well! Cost is high, but they outway other forms of traffic markings in reflectivity at night.

russsl8 t1_iz9o4xr wrote

Yeah problem with those is the plows will tear those up fairly regularly too with how often they maintain the roads in CT (meaning not often).

Even the recessed ones are not safe from our big orange boys.

CT_Patriot t1_izawqk4 wrote

Yep, seen a few times they rip a few up when the blade catches them and the blade does not spring back or if they still use the metal lip vs a hard plastic lip on the blade.

Most DOT are all metal tip bladed as sparks fly when hitting pavement not covered.

Still, love how well those reflective markers light up at night, both yellow and white just blaze up with headlights vs paint with glass beads unless it's fresh painted.

WhittlingDan t1_izafz1d wrote

When wet out I behave fallen on my ass a couple times because it is so slippery, and this was in crosswalks.

CT_Patriot t1_izattz3 wrote

Yes, traffic paint w/o glass beads when newly applied and it's raining....easily to slip on.

After striping a parking lot and crosswalk before it rained, then as it did I went to pick up cones, landed right on my ass. Crew laughed like hell but hurt like a SOB! Learned from then on to be very careful on those and speed humps when wet

keepitupxxx t1_izb3un9 wrote

At least the glass makes nice art when you scoop it up from the over pouring

CT_Patriot t1_izbo3tj wrote

Same when they "oil" a road and apply the bluestone pebbles.

My father and I would go out on our street with the International Harvestor tractor and the trailer to scoop up all the bluestone off on the sides of the road.

We could fill up that trailer with a shit ton of the stone ..thanks to our town..😁