Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JHolm915 t1_izh1rgq wrote

They reduced operations a lot and the ones that are left are mostly in Middletown. Welding is limited in most the manufacturing, Pratt uses a lot of fusion welding by machine. You are probably better off in the gas industry or looking at other companies. Remember Pratt is part of Raytheon now and not in the best of shape financially.

B6304T4 t1_izh3spb wrote

They still have a good amount of engineering and manufacturing in East Hartford. All of their engine assembly and engine test is done in Middletown. Collins up in Windsor Locks also does a good bit of welding too. I know I'm going all over the state but while not aerospace, the other one would be EB. Their welders do very well, albeit they are also highly skilled.

Nolimitz30 t1_izh41cd wrote

Check Collins Aerospace in Windsor Locks.

Pratt has plenty of blue collar jobs in East Hartford but might not be welding specifically.

Also check Kaman.

manticore116 OP t1_izh68m3 wrote

I'm okay doing fusion welding, I did some Electron beam welding for a few months but the management wasn't a fit so I went back to my current shop. My goal is to get into the space industry and I have a few ins there, but I need aerospace experience before I qualify for relocation basically. it's everything but the welding I need

manticore116 OP t1_izh6pca wrote

I've thought about EB, but they are literally on the opposite side of the state from me, and my overall career goal is the space industry, and while nuclear would have good backend experience, most of the day to day is much heavier work than what my goal is.

Nolimitz30 t1_izh6txr wrote

Collins just had a walk in career fair in November in Winsdor and one of the roles they had was Welding Technician - Second Shift. I’m not sure if they are on all socials but they do have Collins Aerospace Jobs profile you can follow to get updates on future career fairs if you can’t find anything currently.

Frankie_Wilde t1_izh77is wrote

That's surprising because I have a bunch of friends that work there and they complain about being over worked because everyone is quitting. I've always asked them to get me in and they say you don't want in.

Holtstrom t1_izhapni wrote

Triumph in West Hartford needs welders who know their shit

bunny_Lord_ t1_izhbpox wrote

East hartford still does a lot of overhaul and repair of components no assemblies but all they care about is diversity nowadays trust me I was there for years it's distracted them.

JHolm915 t1_izhemmt wrote

Sorry I messed up my terms there, meant to say friction welding. Still is sort of fusion welding but all by machine and friction creates the heat from rotating and forcing them together.

bwheels231 t1_izhfik5 wrote

We definitely hire blue collar jobs in Middletown. Will be hiring more in early 2023.

NPHBrew t1_izhfkf4 wrote

How about a foundry? I work at Doncasters in Groton, CT, we're currently hiring welders. We support the aerospace industry and make castings for Pratt, GE, and Rolls Royce, and currently developing parts for SpaceX as well. I've worked at another aerospace foundry in Connecticut as well, feel free to DM me if you've got any questions.

We pour nickel and cobalt based alloys, 718 mostly. If you've got the welding experience but want exposure to aerospace specs and practices, this is a great place to start.

mianrezooy t1_izhme2o wrote

They definitely have welding in West Hartford. My brother in law was a welder there for a few years.

FireyToots t1_izhnglh wrote

It’s not just Connecticut that has this problem. My husband and I had to move up here so he could find a job in his field, because the community here could provide for it.

dkdaniel t1_izhnipy wrote

There's an electron beam welding firm in Granby that's usually hiring. They work on aerospace parts.

Questionguy789 t1_izi8zsg wrote

Check out B&F Machine. They do a lot of welding for aerospace.

rare__air t1_iziclzr wrote

There should still be a lot of smaller manufacturing/parts shops in CT that provide product to Pratt/Collins/Sikorsky/Kaman. It's possible some of them need welders. You'd have to dig a bit to figure out the names of the businesses and what sort of workers they are looking for, but they are out there.

toysup t1_iziod1b wrote

Do not work for Budney overhaul and repair.

keepitupxxx t1_izirl76 wrote

Asked a couple friends in upper management an they do but You need to go through Raytheon site Middletown is the loca for what you are after A good welder is always in high demand

Daviddoesnotexist t1_izvmhei wrote

United Tool and Die in West Hartford does aerospace welding. Same with Ensign Bickford in Simsbury