Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BronzedAppleFritter t1_j6x14pw wrote

I moved from CT to Chicago and can't wait to move back to New England, we're planning on it in the relative short term.

There's a Midwestern tinge to everything that I am so excited to get away from, having to deal with that for like 10 years is probably the biggest motivator.

[deleted] OP t1_j6x7lfp wrote

Is the midwestern tinge a bad thing? Lol

BronzedAppleFritter t1_j6xaal1 wrote

I really don't like it. I'd definitely call it bad, but it's probably not fair to say that it's objectively bad.

I think the general attitude is more casual or less caring about details and presentation and things like that than I am, or what I'm used to back home. Stuff like how people dress at weddings, or whether you directly introduce two people you know who don't know each other. Or how people in the Midwest make this "Ope" noise as a kind of replacement for "excuse me."

It's mostly small stuff, but there's enough of them that they add up. The city and metro isn't as nearly as bad with it. People tend to care more for lack of a better phrase (although they have their own minor issues -- constant little brother syndrome with NYC, how they think they invented pepper and egg sandwiches, etc.). But you can still feel it around the edges and I'm tired of it.