Submitted by mjenness t3_127ql6p in DIY

I am redoing my basement and am installing a drop ceiling and wallpaper (textured and paintable). Does anyone have insight on which I should install first? Should I install wallpaper first, paint it, and then attached the ceiling brackets over the wallpaper. Then I wouldn't have to worry about paint on the brackets, and not have to worry about a straight edge on the top of the wall b/c it will be covered by the drop ceiling. Or would wallpaper between the ceiling brackets and the wall cause an issue?

Or should I do ceiling then wallpaper? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

UseABiggerHammer t1_jefbkui wrote

Finish the wall first, then put your L brackets on.

A laser level is invaluable for drop ceilings and is the easiest way to keep yourself honest with a consistent height and straight lines.

mjenness OP t1_jefcq7e wrote

Absolutely, laser levels and drop ceilings go together like PB & J.

I just don't know if laying textured wall paper (nothing aggressive, grasscloth pattern) under the brackets would cause any issues. I really don't think so because not worrying about straight cuts at the top and bottom of the paper (we are also doing wainscoting) would make the project much easier

SirIsaacGnuton t1_jefihdd wrote

Another vote for wallpaper before ceiling. Why give yourself the extra work of trimming the ends and removing paste from the grids?

skydiver1958 t1_jegmg78 wrote

If I was you do the wallpaper and paint then do the wall mold. No reason to make it more difficult. You may have the odd touch ups to do but that's better than trying to cut a paint line to the wall mold

Gmscott0 t1_jefb9yz wrote

Are you good at wallpaper? If not be careful. You have to make sure the seams and patterns match etc. my wife did wallpaper in a room of our house it didn’t turn out well. I wish we would have paid the 500 bucks to the company that do it all the time. Now because it looks bad we have to figure out something else which will cost more money.

mjenness OP t1_jefc1ua wrote

I have never done it before but I am a good DIY'er. I framed up the basement and now drywall, and am onto finishing the second room. In the family room we want to do textured wallpaper and wainscoting, so I'll only be papering the top half on the wall. It's a grasscloth texture, so no pattern to match.