Submitted by imadude1134 t3_1232vnu in DIY

Hopefully someone can help me.

In a new to me home, I have 4 outlets that are dead (2 backyard and 2 in the garage). The wiring path goes breaker->gfci->outlets (not sure what order, but all 4 are downstream from gfci).

Here is what I have checked so far:

-Breaker is on, good, reads 120v -Gfci was working and not tripped. Plugs read 120v. Replaced (it was 20ish years old anyways), and plugs read 120v, lines in and lines out read 120v

• All 4 dead outlets have no power at any of the wires behind (1 has 3 sets of wires, 2 have 2 sets of wires, 1 has 2 sets of wires) -Replaced outlet recepticals on all 4 dead outlets. -GFCI does not trip, breaker does not trip. 120v in the lines coming out the GFCI, that is "disappearing" somewhere between the gfci and the other 4 outlets -used a line tester (Klein VDV500-820) and got continuity between: GFCI->Outlet 1 (3 arts of wires) Outlets 1 (3 sets of wires)->outlet 2 (2 sets of wires) Outlet 1 (3 sets of wires)->Outlet 2 (2 sets of wires)

What am I missing here? How could I detect signal on the line coming out the gfci but there is no power on it?

Help!!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

williamthebloody9 t1_jdty442 wrote

similar thing happened to me turned their was a separate switch to the outside plugs for decorations or whatever. I would check for a light switch that looks like it doesnt turn on any lights.

imadude1134 OP t1_jdtyg9n wrote

I thought about that too, I have an other outlet that is like that too. No unusual or non-functioning switches that I could find.

BZ2USvets81 t1_jdt9zet wrote

That GFCI is obviously not powering those outlets. Either there is another outlet between the GFCI and the four you're trying to fix, or those four get power from somewhere else. My guess would be the former.

ezbake_fpv t1_jdta8l9 wrote

Theres something else in the middle that you are unaware of. Maybe a buried jbox in a wall?

imadude1134 OP t1_jdtig06 wrote

That could be a possibility. Every other outlet in the house works and has been tested and verified.

gamefixated t1_je3hbfd wrote

Forgive me if I'm stating something you already know...

I would start at the GFCI. Disconnect the outlet and make sure which wire is live (breaker on). (Breaker off) Connect that live wire to the line side of the GFCI. If it was previously on the load side, it would power the outlet, but not any other outlets connected on the other terminals.

>1 has 3 sets of wires, 2 have 2 sets of wires, 1 has 2 sets of wires)

I'm a bit confused here. Do you mean 3 pairs of 14/2 (or 12/2) coming into one outlet box? Or do you mean 14/3 (black, red, white, and ground)? The former would suggest to me that this box forks out to 2 other circuits. Some pigtailed would be required since you need to send power in 2 directions after power this outlet.

But first, back up a bit. After connecting the 2nd set of wires to the GFCI, flip the breaker on and determine which outlet has power on any of its wires. It may be this one with 3 pairs.

imadude1134 OP t1_je3k04x wrote

Gfci has been hooked up properly. Line to line, load to load. Checked the wires with the breaker to confirm. The load terminals have 120v, and the wires just beyond the old terminals read 120v.

All the wires are 12/2 (black, white, ground). The one with 3 sets has a single wire and a 2-into-1 pigtail. The others have just 2 sets of single, or one single

gamefixated t1_je4v3ex wrote

>The one with 3 sets has a single wire and a 2-into-1 pigtail.

Okay, that makes sense.

I guess the next thing I'd try to trace out the circuit with a continuity tester. Start with the single wire outlet (end of chain) and figure out where it goes. Just short white/black on that outlet, and test continuity at the other outlets. I'd hope to narrow down where the GFCI load is supposed to connect through this exercise, as well as verifying all the other wiring.

Not that this fixes your problem, but it narrows down the problem circuit. It could be a drywall screw through the neutral, mice, or some other break.