Submitted by Sure-Leg-6769 t3_11qs5t6 in DIY

Replaced our front entry door this weekend. The old one had an extra frame tacked on to extend it out ~1.5" (as seen in the bottom pic). I presume this was to allow to clearance for the storm door handle. I measured and that didn't seem necessary with the new door, but its absence created some rather large gaps in spots.

Are there any options to cover this up besides adding a piece of trim or some egregious caulking?

https://preview.redd.it/3r52gpnaulna1.jpg?width=960&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=b5d45f9183dba192496d7b8dd27ea342449e2920

https://preview.redd.it/mcny7vnaulna1.jpg?width=960&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=7b495565afe9841affd6de3cbc0b22a0ab5fdf2c

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

blackRamCalgaryman t1_jc4uh9u wrote

You only need…what, 1/2” to cover the exposed brick/ that spray foam? I’d just pull the brickmould, fur out the exterior face of the door frame the required depth (1/2”) and reinstall the brickmould. Then clean up the brick.

Sure-Leg-6769 OP t1_jc4wqhe wrote

Up to an inch or so in spots. The reason I didn't want to add wood strips is the moulding and door are composite and I didn't want some random woodgrain in the middle. May not be that noticeable though.

Wide_String2861 t1_jc51fn2 wrote

Use Azek boards. Home Depot sells them. They are pvc trim boards for exterior use so perfect for this application.

bee_ryan t1_jc4zkjb wrote

Looks like your jamb depth on the new door should have been 6-9/16" or 5-1/4" - not 4-9/16". That extra wood piece in your picture was probably added becuase the person before you made the same mistake and tacked on their own exterior jamb extension to get the brickmould to cover. You're gonna need to do the same thing. You could do your quarter round idea or something similar, but from a professional's viewpoint - yikes.

Sure-Leg-6769 OP t1_jc55hvc wrote

We have a concrete step that was molded around the sill. 4-9/16 was the only thing that fit. In hindsight we should've demo'd the step and repoured it (especially since it's pulling away slightly), but didn't consider that option.

https://i.imgur.com/iWSQDso.jpg

Silver_Smurfer t1_jc4vkic wrote

You either add wood behind the brickmould or on top of it, not really any other option.

Sure-Leg-6769 OP t1_jc4x3k0 wrote

The moulding only has a few nails but I did apply a healthy bead of sealant when I installed it. Would quarter round trim on top of the brickmould be appropriate?

Silver_Smurfer t1_jc50ia9 wrote

Really anything that is thick enough to cover the gap, there are quite a few options.

rpapafox t1_jc51z9v wrote

> Would quarter round trim on top of the brickmould be appropriate?

The only problem I see with quarter round is if it is wider than outermost layer of the face.

cbryancu t1_jc4x8xb wrote

You could get a Mason bag (kind of like a pastry bag for frosting) and use mortar to fill gap. Tap mounding and brick to give nice clean straight finish.

Sure-Leg-6769 OP t1_jc56ejt wrote

So basically carve the foam out a bit and squeeze some mortar in there. Not a bad idea.

What is tap mounding?

Baneken t1_jc9ahae wrote

No, you place a metal strip over it. That's how professional window & door installers like me do it in Europe.

Like this

123isausernameforme t1_jc5ez0g wrote

There are other brands too. The azek ones have a textured finish which you may not want. For simplicity, I'd just go get 1.5" wide, smooth pvc exterior trim boards. Then miter them around the existing brick mold. You could glue it to the brick(use something exterior rated with instant grab hold time) and shoot a few finish nails through it into the existing brick mold. I think taking it apart is opening a can of worms. It's doubtful anyone but you will notice the difference anyway.

SpiderMcLurk t1_jc675oh wrote

Jamb wasn’t deep enough. Pull off the mould and replace with a nice bit of trim.

lakechapinguy t1_jc83pt8 wrote

The door jamb should have been wider, probably a special order. I had the same problem, including the concrete porch pulling away. I was able to extend the jamb and I don't think anyone notices it. I had to chip out the concrete porch to get the new door to fit. Just so it didn't look like the porch was patched a new porch project was initiated. That was pricey but makes the house POP. The door salesman never asked any questions other than "door swing direction." If he had asked the question about jamb width I would have jumped at the chance to make it right without the "fixes". The porch material salesman was a real pro. Spent a lot of time with him and he sold me all the materials from base, new sidewalk pavers, step treads, porch slabs, cap blocks, adhesives, etc. There is so much to learn as a DIYer. Methods and materials are always changing. I wish you well with your project. I think I would use a PVC trim piece where the brick molding meets the brick. Check with the door manufacturer. You may be able to remove the brick molding and replace with a different size.