Submitted by jimmyhilluk t3_122ylix in DIY

I've got a 90s built garage (here in the UK) that I'd like to smarten up a bit, I've got an Imgur link here to the garage with a description of what I'd like:

https://imgur.com/a/GulmsIm

But in short, I'd like to have a smooth painted wall on the wall adjoining the neighbour's garage at the least, with the possibility of doing something with the red brick walls as well. (In the hope that it'll look a bit smarter with a new floor and nice ceiling and lighting)

I was about to go and render all the walls in the garage as a giant DI-WTF when I was warned about damp issues, et al.

Which begs a question in itself; if the garage door isn't one of these state of the art hermetic seal jobs (as in, I get leaves blow in underneath in autumn), is rendering the walls really going to be a problem?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

agua_moose t1_jdsiw3o wrote

Appreciate this doesn't answer what you've asked, but I painted my block work with a really fluffy roller and watered down white paint. It's not amazing but it brightened it up (my main goal) and looked much better. A cheap stop gap solution if nothing else.

Muckle674 t1_jdskw8g wrote

Painting the floor will also do wonders for the feel of the space, it'll stop dust being lifted into the air every time you walk/drive on it.

Warlord68 t1_jdt210u wrote

If the one wall is your neighbours’s, are you allowed to do anything to it?

Weetony54 t1_jdt3ydz wrote

Budget?

Im planning similar and i think shelving that wall is gonna be a. Cheaper and b. Usefuller.

Then put in a fake ceiling with downlights, a sonos sound system, get yourself a big toolbox and some mazda flags.

Sorted

mmmmlikedat t1_jdt5hba wrote

Idk what the equivalent is but here in the US drylok is a popular paint for cement walls. Painting the walls and floor (I actually recommend gray since it wont mark up as easily) and new led lights to really brighten the entire space will go very far.

andrewse t1_jdtnme5 wrote

I think the brickwork looks fine. Why not start with a lighting upgrade instead?

I changed out the 2 standard LED bulbs in my garage for some fancy but cheap multi angled adjustable and very bright LED units. My garage went from a dingy hole to a glowing spacecraft docking port.

wal9000 t1_jduawuj wrote

That car goes zoom zoom thank you very much

PainSandwich t1_jdummqb wrote

You should post this in r/DIYUK. They may be able to give you some more specific product recommendations.

Adrian_Shoey t1_jdv08g4 wrote

You have a nice little garage there. Mine was similarly dingy looking, but had the advantage of already having a boarded out ceiling - this makes a hell of a difference, especially for reflecting light down. I painted my bare brick and block walls with standard "trade" paint - think it was the trade emulsion from Wickes. Did one coat 50% water using a spray gun, then one coat over that with a big fluffy roller and a masonry brush. On it's own, this made the whole room much, much brighter and more pleasant looking. Combined with two new 6ft LED batons, it's so much nicer in there.

I also painted the floor using a two part epoxy paint - did two coats of this, after sweeping and hoovering the floor clean, and chipping and scraping off any old residue and mortar from the previous owner's use.

If the garage keeps getting leaves and other guff blown in, you can get weather seal for the threshold which fixes to the floor. Also useful if you find rain gets blown in as well.

​

I'm not sure how this sub is for links to Amazon, so the floor paint I used was called "Epoxy Floor Paint by floorsaver". The garage threshold seal thing I'm planning on fitting is called "Stormguard" and can be got from Screwfix or Toolstation.

RedJohn04 t1_jdyyhq7 wrote

Paint the wall. Then put the logo of your favorite club team on the wall. Or your favorite beer. It’ll make you smile when you see it and obviously brighten it up.

If you can find a second hand light fixture to add in there, go for it. Or a light up Guinness sign. That could be fun.