Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PLZ_STOP_PMING_TITS t1_jcpk260 wrote

No it's not.

−3

Carllllll t1_jcpljqr wrote

I can't find any information to back this up. Please provide. I've used white lithium grease for years and years in numerous metal to metal applications with no issue.

HanzG t1_jcpqkwy wrote

I'll back him with 25 years of automotive servicing experience. White grease is great for things like where a steering shaft exits the body through a rubber boot. Or power seat mechanisms where it won't react with the rubber and quiets the movement. But it will harden, and it collects dirt and dust and hardens to slightly crusty, hard "wax". This takes years but it will build up if continuously applied. The biggest problem area on cars is the hood latch; Shops spray the latch thinking they're lubing it. They're actually helping fill the latch with dirt and that causes them to not work. I remove the latch, clean it in a varsol bath, and lubricate it with a light oil. Fixed.

In controlled environments like inside a car, or inside a machine, it's great. Garage doors are outside. I'd use it on the overhead spring because there's nothing there to get jammed up. But not the wheels. 3 in 1 or Light Machine oils.

PLZ_STOP_PMING_TITS t1_jcpopdt wrote

The only information I have is over 30 years of personal experience with the stuff at home and at work.

Edit:. Actually if you Google "Does white lithium grease dry out" and ignore the articles from the manufacturers of white lithium grease there's plenty of stuff talking about how it dries out.