Submitted by Josh_Cordero t3_11ybqbn in DIY

So as the title says, i am building new kitchen countertops. I left the old cabinets in and im only replacing the countertops. I pulled my old counter tops off to use it as a template for making the new ones. Now ive got it all together with the build up set in place. What do i do next? Do i lay my laminate in place then cut the hole for the sink? And hope i dont damage the laminate? Or do i cut the hole out before laying the laminate??? pros and cons of one way vs the other? Thanks for any advice, tips, and tricks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

National_Rip9097 t1_jd6zpdc wrote

Cut the holes out 1st then lay the laminate and take the laminate out with a bottom bearing trimmer, may want to put masking tape around where the hole is so you don’t scratch the laminate and a quick rub round the edge with sandpaper as will leave a sharp edge. This is how we done it at a place I worked but may be better options.

losterweil t1_jd714em wrote

I laminated first. The sink hole will be covered by the sink so it has trim covering it. I just taped where I was cutting and that prevents any cracking.

SpagNMeatball t1_jd7iioy wrote

Since you are laying the laminate yourself, cutting the sink hole first seems to make sense. You should be able to get a cleaner cut with the laminate trimmer. But I would be afraid of using MDF around water in a self built countertop. If you don’t get it sealed properly, it will swell up and destroy itself with just a little water. I remodeled my kitchen and used this concrete kit from z counterform. It was fairly easy and makes a solid and practically indestructible counter.

StoneyPicton t1_jd7q7ys wrote

I think either way works so I would suggest cutting out first. That way you end up with a piece of mdf and a piece of laminate that you can use for other projects. I hate waste :)

darouxgarou t1_jd7qxij wrote

Couple things from someone who does this for a living. I always try and cut my sink out before laminating but sometimes I just cant. It does not really matter as long as you use a good fine finish blade in your jigsaw with the orbital set all the way out so the blade is tight, drill out your 4 corners, and when on your last cut line put 2 wood screws in the cuts on opposite sides so the piece does not fall out and break the laminate. Next, never use MDF for a countertop where water is involved unless its Exteria exterior MDF.

cobblers t1_jd7uw9e wrote

Don't use MDF anywhere near a source of mousture.

SpagNMeatball t1_jda0jhi wrote

It’s concrete, what upkeep does it need other than sealing it every so often?. That company has the entire system- forms, concrete, dyes and sealers. I used their si acryl product but they have some newer products which seal even better. I have had no issues with anything staining it.