Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DoubleDongle-F t1_jcw21l4 wrote

That's pretty normal. Replacing the affected sheet rock is how it's always gone on the job for me.

Sodinski t1_jcw2aeb wrote

God dammit.

But thank you :)

morinr t1_jcwcoux wrote

Last one I did tried that a bit. Was looking at patches and repairing. And just cut it as straight as I could. Then just replace with a rectangle of drywall. Less patching. Less work. And faster. Most importantly less dust everywhere.

SpagNMeatball t1_jcwg4lc wrote

Same here. Every time I have taken tile down I just assume I am replacing the drywall.

haus11 t1_jcwz2ll wrote

It’s way easier to take the whole piece and replace it and I hate drywall. Luckily, the mud job doesn’t need to be great. Just passable. Assuming you’re going to tile above the joint. It’s so much quicker than trying to carefully remove tile.

Baneken t1_jcxdsyj wrote

It's fairly straightforward with gyprock/sheetrock whatever the brand -it's all gypsum board anyway.

You can just cut a straight line with a sharp X-acto knife, remove the damaged part, smooth edges and fit in the new piece and the refinish the wall. No need to tear the whole wall down for a new sheet.

JeffBoBeff t1_jcwootz wrote

The best is when you spend 2 hours meticulously taking off a 2 ft x2 ft square then moving on to the next part just to realize the drywalls moldy anyways. I removed 4x as much tile and drywall in 10 minutes than I did in 2 hours.

kittenfordinner t1_jcx94bc wrote

It's often a good idea to save the time and re line at least part of that wall if not the whole wall