Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

islandsimian t1_jea0b1r wrote

That's a large gap. As others have said replace the weatherstripping, but if the other side of the door is much tighter, you can add shims behind the hinges to push the door closer to the other side.

jap5531 OP t1_jea309n wrote

I think this is probably what I’ll need to do. Should I wait for it to warm up a bit? Still cold outside and wasn’t sure if the door moves/grows with temp changes.

islandsimian t1_jea4100 wrote

The door will definitely expand a bit in the heat, but you've got plenty of room there. Try it with cardboard and only do one shim at a time and it shouldn't take you any more than 10 minutes. If it gets warm and it's too much, take out some of the cardboard one at a time.

MainOld697 t1_jebjggt wrote

Don't do this, crazy idea honestly.

What you SHOULD do (and my professional recommendation) would be;

1. replace the weather stripping, it clearly saw it's best days when the twin towers were still standing.

2. with the door closed, pin some fresh 2x1 to the existing jambs to build them out more, best to do this part with the door closed so you can get a nice tight seal.

3. enjoy a far less draughty door.

drewpyqb t1_jeb12c1 wrote

You could also benefit from putting a storm door on there. Adds an extra layer of protection.

hirsutesuit t1_jebckww wrote

You can also just bend the hinges with an adjustable (Crescent) wrench.

−1