Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JerseyWiseguy t1_iscvpys wrote

Easy fix--I've done it many times. Just loosen or remove the outlet, and use a knife to carefully gouge some of the drywall behind the screw holes--just enough to get the face plate screws in.

AndMarmaladeSkies t1_iscvr8u wrote

Two options. Poke through the screw holes with an awl to make room. The faceplate screws may drill into the plaster/drywall without any help. Or put spacers between the outlet and the wall. Like these made for that purpose.

pistcow t1_iscwxrr wrote

I haven't had great success with those spacer and using an awl has done the trick.

Centx77 t1_iscw2lz wrote

Depending on the plate you purchase the screws will be shallow enough that they won't even hit the wall. If they do contact the wall, but only a little bit, do nothing. If they hit the wall a lot it will push the plate off the wall, in this case use something to knock away a small amount of the sheetrock to create a small recess for the screw to sit in. This is the correct way for an outlet to be installed, against the sheetrock like that. It is all fire rated.

theycallmeingot t1_isdrcg2 wrote

The screws will make their own holes in the drywall. No further action needed.

When it’s tile? A little different story.

Ottoclav t1_isfg4e3 wrote

Just put the faceplate on. Slotted screws, 1/4” flat bladed screw driver. The decora style cover plate pretty much lines the screws to the holes up for you.

3dogsnights t1_isgv44s wrote

Just put the screws in, it will drill thru the gypsum.

pbza10 t1_iscwm87 wrote

That type of outlet uses a snap on switch plate cover.

−4

loganab13 t1_isd8dve wrote

No it doesn’t. OP just needs to trim the drywall behind the face plate screw holes.

pbza10 t1_isf3d08 wrote

My bad, next time I will put my glasses on and look at the picture before I answer 🥸

Wild1inMKE t1_iscvjnl wrote

Use some command strips? /s

−6