Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Darkassassin07 t1_iuhr9t5 wrote

Have a plumber check out your weeping tile drainage.

Cracks in the foundation wall typically happen when water builds up behind the wall and freezes, expanding and heaving the wall in. North American houses have a 'weeping tile' system that's a perforated pipe running around the outside base of the foundation to collect and drain water.

Older houses use clay tiles and have the water seep in the cracks, newer houses use plastic pipe with holes and a filter cloth. Both can become clogged and fail to drain, leading to your issue.

Another concern is water running towards the house instead of away. Poorly graded land around the home, down spouts improperly draining away, etc.

Ecsta t1_iuhsqx2 wrote

Yep this exactly. My house had terrible grading and then when we went to fix it we discovered my weeping tile was completely collapsed. Was a big job digging it all up and replacing it, but at least with all the extra dirt now I have the grading problem solved 😂

exiestjw t1_iuhushg wrote

Its far from a given that the interior drainage already exists. You'd know if it does because there will be a sump pump.

Darkassassin07 t1_iuhvxop wrote

Not necessarily, many houses have the weeping tile drain into the sewer line, others have a dry well out back that many owners know nothing about. Some even drain into a ditch near the road out front. There is usually a cleanout somewhere on the property.

A plumber (that's familiar with these systems) can help locate it and inspect the system, or give further advice.

exiestjw t1_iuhy1fv wrote

Ah, yeah I didn't look very hard at the picture and thought this was a basement.