Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

leviwhite9 t1_itavirz wrote

Cyanoacrylate glue is still used probably almost universally in medical settings for wound closure.

sofa_king_ugly t1_itbav0n wrote

My thumbnail is damaged and is separating. I drenched it with gel Krazy glue to hold it together. My intention was to get by without snagging it on anything until I can get to a nail salon (I'm a guy who works in a remote industrial setting) but I just dressed it smooth and it seems incredibly durable. I'll probably just leave it as-is and let it grow out

leviwhite9 t1_itbblcp wrote

Hell yeah brother.

You ever see the liquid skin stuff? It's sold in bandaid aisle usually.

It's pretty much the same, more rubbery though. I use it on hangnails because I've an awful habit of once they start I dig at them until I see bone.

sofa_king_ugly t1_itbc3a7 wrote

I had a bottle of "New Skin" on hand but it only held up for about a day. Which is pretty good considering how many times the damp gloves go on and off. I cut a nail 2/3 across with a handsaw a few years ago - through the glove - it was a mess. I went to a nail salon and had a clear UV-cured gel applied over what was left and wow is that stuff tough.

pseudocultist t1_itbmg1q wrote

I love liquid bandage but it wears off quickly, like once a day at least you have to reapply a layer or two, and when I put it on a hangnail or cuticle I've been scratching, I actually dig at it more because now there's something to scrape off. I usually have to go with a multifaceted approach, liquid band aid under actual band aid, sometimes under nitrile gloves.

purebreadbagel t1_itbv73m wrote

Also now marketed as “catheter securement adhesive” for central lines, accessed ports, and PICC lines. I got to play with it when they were first introducing it at my hospital and my first thought was “huh, this feels like super glue when it dries” after I put it on my skin to see if it would burn. Then I read the package and realized it basically was superglue.