Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HorsesRanch t1_it640j8 wrote

This is not a stupid question, 'poster' tshawkins described it best for people to understand; whenever plugging/unplugging or opening/closing a breaker - an electrical spark will occur (especially if end equipment has a potential load).

The jumping of electricity across an open-air space creates ozone from the air, a by-product of a chemical makeup changes to the ambient air from the arc; this is a natural reaction of physics.

Even the adapter to charge small electronics, it has a transformer in the line to reduce the voltage; the transformer is the load - it will create a spark that you can see if paid attention to.

New appliances have 'pre-starters', so they are ready to be used immediately (but constantly have a draw on power); the properties or physics of electricity many do not understand.

Think of it as the same as water, it travels on the outside of the conductor; wires that are stranded or braided will carry more volume of load due to more physical surface area to travel on - the terms associated with it may help in the understanding.

Current, Flow, Pressure, Wave are all the hydraulic associations with electricity, if someone sensitive to nature and dowses for water; they can find exactly where buried power cables are. Heavy pressure (amperes) can be felt/seen with a compass, when it is flowing with a lot of pressure behind it; it will cause the wires to resonate/make sound and vibration - like everything, it is governed and confined by gravity.

The properties are fluid and dynamic for change with surrounding environment, heat and air pressure can cause resistance (watts) - if you have extra time for learning, a great many things are documented for any to view.

I have many large reference 'bibles' as well as code books that I still use (sometimes I have to look up a formula to equate end principle) and some are almost impossible to replace.

Hope I filled any holes, good fortune and the best for you. Horse