Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NoMuffinForYou OP t1_it9h1q7 wrote

That's my best guess but 4'x8' just seemed REALLY big.

I honestly don't know what else it could be aside from a fireplace

WizardOfIF t1_it9j6oq wrote

Can you poke a hole in the drywall somewhere conspicuous and see if a tool hits something solid?

NoMuffinForYou OP t1_it9koed wrote

I've checked with a studfinder and I know it has wood framing with unusual chest height lateral framing all around as well. That's been my best investigation thus far.

I'd kinda like drill a hole and just peek inside with a tiny camera but I also hate patching drywall....

BeeExpert t1_it9tkft wrote

The more dry wall you patch more you like it. Now go

U_oOkay-Buddy t1_itatans wrote

Just cut a 1ftx1ft square out. Then save the piece if you end up patching it back in. The stud finder can’t really tell you what it is. It could be some sort of old fire place that just has wood furring strips added around the outside to support the drywall.

imnotsoho t1_itaviap wrote

Either use a utility knife to cut in middle of studs and drywall saw to cut the horizontals or use the drywall saw to cut a 1x1 foot hole with a bevel so the cut out piece is easily replaced. Bevel it so the saw tip point towards center of square, put a screw in the center first so you don't lose the whole thing inside the wall.

riomarde t1_itb5fmr wrote

If I ever finish my basement, in my house that would be the walled off area hiding support columns and toilet drain pipes. I have a fancy idea of keeping it big enough to do storage, but it is pretty small so doing it in a way that is useful and looks good is unlikely. I do suspect it will contain some kind of access panel. This is all assuming I ever do more to my basement.