Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ribnag t1_it9b4du wrote

Ignore most of the instructions, and use a propane torch on low for up to five minutes to heat up the area around the thermocouple (don't hold the torch right on it, you want to warm it, not cook it).

If that still doesn't work, time for a service call.

dingustotalicus OP t1_it9ebmu wrote

With the controller set to "Pilot" or "On"?

ribnag t1_it9eklc wrote

During the step where you're supposed to hold the button in. I don't remember what the setting is, but I remember my fingers are ready to fall off before it finally stays lit.

Key-Chapter t1_it9fmfs wrote

If you heat the thermocouple with a torch the valve can pass gas to the burner without the pilot lit if the valve gets turned to on. If you can get at the vent you can cover it with a bag until the pilot is lit to stop the draft. Looking at the rust your pilot orifice is probably dirty and needs to be cleaned. Check the end of the thermocouple if it's missing a piece or burnt off it won't hold.

RemakeSWBattlefont t1_itac1z8 wrote

I do fireplaces and they all have this of using MV style, hold pilot on pilot, light with torch lighter whatever, hold aprox 30 seconds to a miniute, then turn to on. If pilot drops after that time bad or weakening thermo couple, if stays lit but burner will not fire bad TP

HolycommentMattman t1_itbu9ej wrote

I'll just add something to what u/ribnag said: try cleaning the thermocouple. It's very common for them to get dirty due to years of a flame generating soot, and you want them to be clean to more accurately measure temperature.

So get a dollar bill and rub it. If you've seen The Big Lebowski, or are an old-timey serious bowler, you probably know how people polish their bowling balls by using a big cloth and pulling back and forth. Do the same thing using a dollar bill. You basically want to use it like sandpaper.

But it's important to know how it works:

• you turn the knob to pilot
  • you hold down the knob, which releases gas out to the pilot flame
  • you ignite the pilot by pushing that loud clicking button until a flame appears
  • you hold it down for a while, which heats up the thermocouple
  • when the thermocouple is sufficiently hot, it believes that it is detecting a flame (which it is)
  • if the thermocouple gets too cool, it believes that no flame is present and shuts off the gas

So it's really important for that piece to stay clean, because the dirtier it is, the more heat is required to make it believe a flame is present. And since the pilot light is always uniform, it's possible it goes out because it's not detecting enough heat.

LawTeaDough t1_itbuvj3 wrote

STOP GIVING THIS GUY HVAC TECH ADVICE. HE IS A TENANT AND IT IS THE LANDLORDS PROPERTY. It's a lose lose. You fix it, you just gave your landlord free service. You break it. Now the landlord wants you to pay to fix it.

HolycommentMattman t1_itd73no wrote

Dude, if I had waited on our landlord to fix our heater, we would have frozen to death.

But you're right, landlords should be responsible for rental properties, for exactly why you say. But I still think this is good knowledge to have.

myfotos t1_itcdw9n wrote

If this is the advice you're getting just call someone and send the invoice to the landlord.

WinterHill t1_ita8tsv wrote

On. The main use of the torch is to heat up the thermocouple enough to turn on the full flow of gas, rather than just the flow for the dinky little pilot light.

With the torch, you won’t need to hold the button in at all.

LawTeaDough t1_itbvilw wrote

If the flame is being blown, you have a backdraft problem and the landlord should be doing this.

LawTeaDough t1_itbupr5 wrote

You can ruin your thermocouple that way.

ribnag t1_itbxfcw wrote

I did say not to cook it directly. That said, if it takes five minutes of a torch to light the pilot, it's already not in great shape. :)

FWIW I learned this trick from a service tech, when I called specifically because I couldn't get the pilot lit. He basically told me he could replace a bunch of parts for a few hundred bucks if I really wanted him to, orrr... Grab a $10 "My First Torch" kit from $BigBox and the cylinder will probably last longer than I will (and I already had a halfway decent one, just for sweating pipe, nothing fancy).