Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

modrboat t1_iu9k8ed wrote

If you can’t afford to do it right you can’t afford to do it at all. That toilet will back up it will flood and then you will have to demo out the basement ceiling to repair the damage. One way or another the work will have to be done.

Find your 3” or 4” line and do it right, pull a permit and have it added to the value of your house. It will make your home more valuable in the long run.

will_brewski t1_iubv1yz wrote

I didn't say I can't afford it. Just asking about a workaround.

Calm-Macaron5922 t1_iu9owys wrote

Why add value to the house only to increase tax burden while living there?

Why not wait till the right time for the higher value to be recognized by an appraisal when selling in the future?

I’m not saying to not pull a permit, I’m saying to downplay the increased value.

In 2017 my realtor told me that adding a 3/4 bath to my 4br 1 bath house would increase the value by $3500

−18

modrboat t1_iu9uqxz wrote

It’s not as simple as just pulling the permit or adding the value right before you sell. The jurisdiction can make you open all the walls to verify sworn was done to code, impose fines, and if codes changed they can make you update the work to the new codes. Any good realtor will pull a history of work on a property so it’s not like you can sell your 2 bath house with 3 bathrooms unless it’s documented.

ian2121 t1_iu9ycwh wrote

All the cities and counties by me make you get an affidavit signed and recorded by a plumber, electrician, engineer, etc (depending on improvement). So you can find unscrupulous “professionals” that will sign something just based on your testimony for relatively cheap. I know a few people that will do that but I’d never recommend them, cause that’d be a abdication of my professional duty IMO. Classic saying in my field is “there are engineers that’d stamp a dog turd for a buck”