Submitted by ballroombadass0 t3_z53myy in DIY

Hello,

​

I have been trying to get my adhesive hooks to stick on my popcorn walls FOR MONTHS. Some stay and some don't, and weight doesn't seem to matter. For example, 2/3 curtains using the exact same installation seem to be staying up, but one keeps falling down.

When everything first fell down, I started putting down rubbing alcohol before round 2, but it only helped in some cases. Then out of desperation, I tried putting sticky tack behind the hooks too (Idk, I thought it might add like, extra stickiness?) and that absolutely did not work lol

​

I rebought the exact same hooks that I used in my last apartment, which also had popcorn walls but was newer, and I had no problems there.

​

I want to hang up a few pieces of art that stayed up fine in my last place. What do I do?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kdawgydaw t1_ixuald3 wrote

Do you let the hooks fix to the wall with no weight for 24 hours before using?

Kindly_Two_2782 t1_ixu3f6n wrote

An old trick my mom used in a rental was to put a strong nail near the ceiling. You use fishing line to hang the picture. Pull the nail when you move. Hole is high enough to be unnoticeable.

DeathByBoobytrap t1_ixu0pec wrote

I had the exact same problem and solved it with colorless Soudal glue. You apply it with a simple pressure pistol (Is that how it's called? I'm not a native speaker). That glue holds hooks, a big mirror, shelves etc.

mnbvcxz123 t1_ixu0zwk wrote

Use a nail.

IckyStickyKeys t1_ixu1ck5 wrote

He's probably renting. Don't bloody use nails unless you have permission from the owner or expect a shit show.

rangeDSP t1_ixu20fl wrote

OP should look up local renter laws and understand their rights too. Apparently in my state, you can put holes in the wall in your apartment, and as long as you putty it, the landlords can't withhold the security deposit.

But you're right, they should definitely check.

ohhellopia t1_ixu6fhk wrote

Some people swear by nano tape. It won't work if the paint is flat though, has to be satin or eggshell finish.

twowheeltech t1_ixvalu4 wrote

Use a lighter on the adhesive after you peel it and immediately stick. Works great

ChronicEntropic t1_ixvr1o7 wrote

There is a recommended process for installing double-sided foam adhesive... When you affix the adhesive foam tape to the wall, leave it there without hanging anything on it for a day or two and press it to the wall with your fingers now and then over the course of this time period. Then attach the hanging hardware and hang your items after at least 24 hours. The adhesive works much better when it is allowed to cement itself to the surface without experiencing sheer force. If this technique does not work, then it is my opinion that the wall surface is too porous for sticky foam tape.

jon_hendry t1_ixu2l7z wrote

Try hot melt glue. You can probably find a cheap hot glue gun for a few bucks along with some hot glue sticks.

When you want to take them down just brush some rubbing alcohol on the glue and it will loosen its grip on the wall. Make sure the alcohol is applied around the edges of the blob of glue so it can work it’s way underneath.

littlelordgenius t1_ixus775 wrote

DAP adhesive in the green tube. Wait 24 hrs. I did this with a small hook board that holds heavy clusters of keys. Worked/is working great!

Koolest_Kat t1_ixwyo9f wrote

Sometimes I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the spot before I stick it up. Also use a hair dryer to heat up the sticky back !!

ballroombadass0 OP t1_iydefbf wrote

Sorry, been running around, but just saw all these useful tips! Thank you everyone!