Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hijinks t1_ix8ab17 wrote

You need a transistor like doorbells to take in 120v down to 24v

−6

WeaknessNegative392 OP t1_ix8auf6 wrote

Is that something I can put in myself? Or do I need to call in a professional. And would it get wired at the thermostat end or on the furnace end and have to run new wires the whole length of the run?

kittenrice t1_ix8vdhw wrote

It's a fairly simple thing to do, if you're comfortable working with electricity and have basic tools (like a multimeter).

I would install it at the boiler and use the existing wires, making sure to label them as 24V on the stat end.

Way2Saucy4U t1_ixbws3g wrote

Unless I’m misunderstanding, I don’t think this idea will work.

In most programmable thermostats, the “R” terminal on the t-stat is both the source voltage to power the thermostat and also redistributes that same power to each energized output.

Using a transformer to step down the 120V signal voltage will power the 24V thermostat but then the energized outputs will also be 24V back to the furnace. Each thermostat output would individually then need to be transformed back to 120V since the current controls internal to the furnace are looking for a 120V signal.

Also, some thermostats use triacs instead of relays for energizing the outputs. You could potentially damage a thermostat if you put 120V on a 24V rated triac circuit.