Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DrHugh t1_iwwus6d wrote

I don't know if the plumbing code allows that at that point, you might call your local code office to find out.

I was able to tap into copper supply lines in the basement in order to setup our new refrigerator earlier this year.

If you were going to do it with your laundry set-up, you could find some sort of T-fitting that would go in the cold water connection, with a valve off that that reduces down to the kind of line you need to connect to the refrigerator.

DanYHKim t1_iwwv4x3 wrote

I would think that all faucets in the house are potable water, and so it shouldn't be a problem.

DrHugh t1_iwwxfc3 wrote

I agree, but plumbing and electrical codes can have specific things that are allowed or disallowed, and that can vary from place to place. One problem might be that to work on the washer, you would turn off water to your fridge, so you'd have to vent the lines after you turn the water back on.

For instance, a common kit in home stores is a thing with a valve that pierces a supply line, then has a coiled hose you connect to your refrigerator. I was watching an Ask This Old House video on this, where they said this was actually against code in all fifty states, because of the chance of a leak, but it didn't stop retailers from selling the kits.

DanYHKim t1_iwwzcq5 wrote

Aah! OK. That can make sense, of there's back-contamination from the washer into the supply pipe. It might not get far, but it might get into the ice maker if it's right next to it.

DrHugh t1_iwwzyhm wrote

There should be an air gap in the washing machine, but yeah, that sort of thing.

imnotsoho t1_iwxte3r wrote

Might not be up to code, but when was the building inspector came to your house to check your inside water connections? If it works and does not contaminate any other water in the house, what is the problem. You can bring it up to code when you have other work done that needs inspection, or when you go to sell - or not. Easy way to bring up to code is to just disconnect the splitter and hose from the fridge. Is there any code that says your fridge has to be connected to water?