Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

trapperjohn3400 t1_iyazap9 wrote

I'm going to suggest that it may actually be the lights tripping it. Try a large load (like a space heater or a shop vac, ect.) and see if that trips it. You might have moisture where the lights connect into the other lights potentially causing issues also.

SuzieQbert t1_iyaznpm wrote

^^^ Definitely give this a go. For sure sounds like a problem with your lights .

Parkje04 t1_iyb1fk2 wrote

+1 to this theory. This exact scenario happened to me last year. I replaced the GFCI and the outdoor outlet before realizing the problem was the lights themselves. Could be one of the strands are getting moisture in them, or some other issue related to the lights.

ZipperJJ t1_iyb5oj7 wrote

Same here. When I first did lights they were incandescent and they were too much of a load for my one plug. I replaced them with LED and it stopped tripping.

Then one year it was really wet and I started getting tripping again. My LED strings were too wet so I got some of those waterproof outdoor plug covers to put the plugs in. Haven’t had a problem since.

bluecar92 t1_iyb1ymc wrote

Yup, same thing happened with me one year. One of the connections between a string of lights and an extension cord was wet.