Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

5degreenegativerake t1_iyb6jgl wrote

GFI outlets don’t trip based on moisture, they trip on a difference in the current between the line and neutral. The most likely cause is a bad bulb, or bad socket on the lights that is leaking current to ground and causing the trip. Obviously moisture can also cause current leaking to ground, but moisture is not a requirement to have “nuisance” tripping.

jawshoeaw t1_iybxc7t wrote

I have lots of lights that are soaking wet for the month of December and they don’t ever trip my gfci. It’s weird honestly. In my experience gfci just go bad and it’s easier to replace them after some basic troubleshooting.

michaelpaoli t1_iybymyi wrote

>GFI outlets don’t trip based on moisture, they trip on a difference in the current between the line and neutral.

Get enough moisture between hot/line and ground, and you'll have that difference in current that'll trip the GFCI. That principle may also save someone's life - e.g. wet feet in bathtub, hand on faulty device plugged in that contacts or leaks hot to the person's hand, flows through them, into feet in tub and ground ... again, moisture, current imbalance between line/hot and neutral ... and ... it trips.

ccarr313 t1_iyc7qgw wrote

They also trip if you pull too many amps. Which can be caused by a short due to moisture, in whatever is plugged in or the socket.