Submitted by OnTopOfSpaghettiii t3_z0tigj in DIY

I'm assembling a second hand piece of white furniture. It's been stained yellow on some front facing areas by sunlight, I need to uniform the color. The surface is vinyl-like, would paint stick? Do I need to sand the whole thing for it to stick? Or is there an easier hack to getting yellow discoloration off plastic?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PineappleApocalypse t1_ix7ie21 wrote

Usually sunlight doesn’t cause a ‘stain’, it’s actually faded out some of the pigment so there is no stain to remove.
sanding and painting will work, though it’s difficult to get it looking like the original.

OnTopOfSpaghettiii OP t1_ix7yh8l wrote

Makes sense, i suppose it just could be old plastic getting discolored. I thought sunlight because of the very defined lines of the discoloration. Posted pics of the damage on my profile

ShanghaiNick t1_ix7i4i8 wrote

You need to know the material before making a stain come out or risk damaging the material itself. Photos can help ID the material.

Some materials will require spot treatment while others may want to have a uniform coverage to make the material all look the same.

OnTopOfSpaghettiii OP t1_ix7ybcq wrote

Just posted pics on my profile. The furniture is cheap so probably plywood, but I don't know what kind of plastic finish is put on top!

merakimela t1_ix7d47b wrote

Have you tried making a baking soda paste or bleach to see if the stains lift? Might save you the hassle of trying to paint it. For the baking soda paste I think it was mix the powder with a bit of lemon juice to form the paste and let it sit on the stains for like 15-ish mins before wiping it away with a cloth.

OnTopOfSpaghettiii OP t1_ix7de35 wrote

I've tried a strong cleaner but not bleach yet. Hadn't thought of baking soda! Will try, thanks

TOFFERKINDLE t1_ix96r4y wrote

Leave it out in the moonlight to balance it out

ktka t1_ix9kmw3 wrote

Who are You, Who are so Wise in the Ways of Science?