Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

large__father t1_iy1yj4n wrote

Just because it's a higher horse power doesn't mean the pump is designed to achieve the same head pressure. You can have a 50hp pump that's designed for low grade pressures. If your pump cannot generate enough pressure to counter act the cost of lifting the water to the height of the second floor that's why your flow will suffer.

If I remember correctly it's approximately 1psi lost per meter increase in elevation from pump.

Kizznez OP t1_iy1yxgy wrote

The pump says it has 25ft of lift, the fittings on the second floor should be about 20ft, so I figured I wouldn't have too many losses getting it there. This pump was given to me with the house, so I didn't really do any research into the pressure of the tank, but my Q is more about the pressure tanks max pressure. Are jet pumps maxed out at that 40psi, or is it the delta that's important? I'd like to have it max out at 60PSI, although 50 would probably work. I just don't want to spend another $500 having a plumber come and hook up a new pump in a month or two if I grenade this one lol

large__father t1_iy24mlm wrote

Generally you should be able to run a jet pump at a higher pressure. If it wasn't capable it should list that which yours doesn't seem to. Hard to give a definite answer as all pumps as a bit unique despite being very similar.

Reading your question again it's clear that you're not worried about maximising life. If that's the case I would turn the pressure switch up and test it at a higher pressure, deliberately cycling it to see how to responds. If the pump on time is reasonable compared to the factory 20/40 then it should work for now even if it's shortening the overall life of your pump.

large__father t1_iy24ymm wrote

I realized I didn't answer your question. Don't exceed 60psi for well tanks. I would stay closer to 50 myself. They aren't designed generally to exceed 60.