Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Revolutionary_Tale17 t1_ixw2tjn wrote

They never last that long. I replaced all the recessed lights in my house with LEDs that were supposed to last 10 years, within 1 year 2 of the 24 had died and the shipping and handling to get the replacements under warranty was more than buying a new bulb. LEDs are a fucking scam.

−5

Blastercorps t1_ixw5vbs wrote

That sounds like your house has dirty power. Semiconductors like LEDs don't like that.

Cynyr36 t1_ixw9y78 wrote

Basically everywhere in the USA has dirty power at the residential level.

Blastercorps t1_ixwn1uo wrote

Yes, but there are degrees. I have LED bulbs 5 years and counting. 1-2 years is bad.

Throwaway152738sghsh t1_ixwhnpl wrote

Might’ve gotten a bad batch. I know a local business that had to replace tons of them in new houses because a specific manufacturer had issues with one of their production runs and they would go out/or flicker non-stop within the first few years at random. Replaced about 15 of them in my own house within the first few years of a new build. “Luckily” lightning struck the house and insurance paid to replace them all with another brand and no more flickering led’s now.

Taleya t1_ixwh4ml wrote

That's an issue then because unless you got a whole house UPS you're damned hard pressed to find residential power worldwide that isn't. Nature of the beast.

11Kram t1_ixwazl0 wrote

LEDs use about 10% of the energy an incandescent bulb uses. We noticed a significant difference in electricity bills after replacing over 50 recessed halogen lights throughout the house.

ede91 t1_ixw6sjk wrote

LEDs aren't a scam, non replaceable fixtures are a scam. Funny thing is, that existed already with previous energy saving light bulbs. They were a scam then, they are a scam now. People don't learn, or there are always new gullible people.

Awordofinterest t1_ixwfopa wrote

When you look up Dubai lamps you will realise the LED's available around the world are a scam. The problem is that bulb manufacturers need people to buy bulbs again. With truly efficient LED's this doesn't happen.

There is a reason tool brands like Makita aren't as good as they used to be. Having an item last a lifetime isn't as profitable.

Big Clive breaking down the bulbs