Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tackstackstacks t1_ixzx5ku wrote

Don't touch anything structural, especially doing it yourself. You can have someone come out and figure out a way to resupport around that joist, but at that point you'll be spending enough money where you may as well just buy a laser TV. Those are much higher quality than a projector anyhow.

In fact this would be a great way to justify buying one to your SO.

mejelic OP t1_iy1232u wrote

What do you mean by laser tv? A quick Google search makes me think you are just talking about a laser ultra short throw projector, which is what I have.

tackstackstacks t1_iy12ypl wrote

I'm sorry, that is what I meant. So few people aware of them that any time I read projector I just assume they are talking about LED or LCD projectors. My bad. However if that's what you have, why not build a box to protect it and either set it on the floor or mount it to the wall really low, or within a console that will protect it? Iis it just that you don't want to give up floor space?

mejelic OP t1_iy149v5 wrote

I have a console that is under the screen that has a built in electric fireplace in it. Unfortunately, the console sits too high for me to get a 120" picture with the ceiling height that I have.

I may have to end up getting (or building) a different console though.