Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JoJoPizzaG t1_j14q20i wrote

Damn almost 10k. When did DYI become an expensive hobby? 😡😡😡

gchance92 t1_j14ts6l wrote

Depending on when OP bought supplies the price could easily be double what most people would have paid pre covid. Lumber prices have come down significantly in the past couple months where I am located.

JohnVerSteeg OP t1_j14wwn3 wrote

Yeah most of the supplies were bought in June/July. I was paying about $6 per 2x4 and $25 for OSB. :(

gchance92 t1_j156jcx wrote

Hey not that bad honestly! If you had started this a year earlier those prices would easily be 2x more than THAT! Great job though btw!

Putridgrim t1_j14qi07 wrote

It's absolutely ridiculous. And if he hired a company to do it they'd charge $400 an hour for labor and only pay the employees $12.50 an hour.

shinypenny01 t1_j16dk5j wrote

Generally with sheds it’s cheaper to buy pre-build and just get ‘em delivered. Skilled builders in a good workshop can put together a shed much faster than they can in your backyard, and time is money.

AlphaWizard t1_j18xbrb wrote

Seriously. I paid about half of this for a prebuilt shed that was built to order, and has most of the same specs. Biggest difference is mine isn’t on a concrete slab, but I can deal with the step up into it.

shinypenny01 t1_j18zkv1 wrote

And the concrete slab is $1k-$2k at most, would still be cheaper even if you did it as well.

NukEvil t1_j15op5z wrote

That's why I had a shed company build my storage shed for me. It cost me just a tiny bit over $9k for a 12' by 16' with 7 foot walls. And they added a free shelf/work table across the back for giving them a good google review. Why do all the work myself and spend weeks planning, permitting, worrying about costs and materials, etc when I could have someone else do all that for me?

JohnVerSteeg OP t1_j16xx40 wrote

You know that thing where you see something for sale and go "I can build that, and for only twice the price!"

spmcewen t1_j16hheb wrote

I don’t know what lumber prices are like now but in 2020 I paid like $5k for a 12x16 custom shed. Maybe $800 for site prep by a local landscaper. Built offside and delivered. 2x4 construction. Northeast prices. All they had to do was drop it in place, add the copper cupola (added a lot to the price), and install the ramp.

Looking at current prices this is basically what I got and it’s $7700: https://kloterfarms.com/product/12-x-16-t-1-11-garden-special-cape-7113/

Don’t get me wrong, if you like doing this sort of project yourself it makes total sense. But I think the bulk price of materials PLUS labor from a shed company is still going to be less that the price of materials alone from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

snowe2010 t1_j16k4n4 wrote

same. We also got a shed (tuff shed) in 2020 and it is a 12x10 and cost 4k. We built the foundation ourself and yeah I'd say around 5-600 for that.

NukEvil t1_j16osyu wrote

I have a cement pad from where the property used to have a pump house sometime before I moved in, so they just anchored my shed to that. Has steel joists, so even less danger of rotting.

snowe2010 t1_j16oz7h wrote

Yeah I mean OPs shed is beautiful, but they massively overpaid and spent a lot of time doing backbreaking labor they didn’t have to. Bet they learned quite a bit though! Oftentimes that is worth the cost alone.

tuckedfexas t1_j16lxux wrote

I cant believe the doors snd windows were almost 2k. It's definitely way over-built as well, super great work above and beyond what most people would do