Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

richriggins OP t1_j0wz3lf wrote

Was thinking about just letting it weather

Staerebu t1_j0x2moj wrote

The welds will likely rust first unfortunately

jooes t1_j0xkxp5 wrote

It'll just get all rusty and shitty if you do that.

I'd at least throw on a coat or two of clear coat.

MUYkylo t1_j0xn4d8 wrote

That's why the original is nice and thick. Oxidized and still strong.

demonsun t1_j0xot4o wrote

The original is also made of a weathering steel like corten, so it rusts and then stops rusting. The thickness doesn't matter so much as stopping flexing breaking the outer layer and exposing fresh steel.

richriggins OP t1_j0xr1ym wrote

The original is made from much thinner stuff than this. This is 1/8".

Uninstal t1_j0yrtsa wrote

It only looks thick because it has flaps at the edges.

Navlgazer t1_j0x8fod wrote

He’s not kidding about drinking milk after welding on galvanized metal.

Google it .

−10

Fioricascastle t1_j0xgny9 wrote

Had no idea what this was. Googled it. Appears to be an old wives tale. Fumes go into the respiratory system. Milk goes into the digestive.

Navlgazer t1_j0yxytr wrote

It’s no wives tale . The fumes go into your lungs and into your blood and will make you very sick

The milk goes into your digestive system and then into your blood on its way to your kidneys . And on the way , while the poison fumes that got into your blood are in the blood at the same time as the milk is in your blood , the poison fumes are attracted to the milk and somehow will attach to the milk and pass out with your urine .

Trust me on this , you do NOT want to inhale the fumes from welding galvanized metal. And if you do , or think you may have , drink as much milk as you can stand for the next two or three days .

My neighbor is a certified welder , it’s not a old wives tale , or if it is , it’s an accurate one .

Plus , unless your lactose intolerant, whats it gonna hurt to drink a bunch of milk ?

−2

[deleted] t1_j0z13pp wrote

[deleted]

Navlgazer t1_j0zljz2 wrote

Why wouldn’t something in your stomach enter your bloodstream ?

You know , like caffeine and alcohol and protein and everything else that’s in your stomach ?

Either way , be very careful welding galvanized steel .

The fumes will fuck you up.