Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BloobityBloobity t1_j0y0jic wrote

> annoying to set up and do casually

I disagree. I was gifted a very compact stick welder this spring. I think it cost maybe $80 on Amazon and it plugs into a 110V outlet. Welding rods are cheap as hell, and using 6013s doesn't require much metal prep. It's been indescribably handy and takes less than a minute to set up.

I wouldn't be so quick to discourage someone from trying it. Stick welding is the best way to learn and extremely simple.

[deleted] t1_j0y5u7q wrote

Professional metalworker here: 1000% this! A stick welder is the simplest thing. No movíng parts, low barrier to entry.

A hobbyist should keep the following rod on hand: 6011: Deeply penetrating, high tolerance for rust/paint/etc. 6013: Great for sheet metal! Anything 14ga and under. 7014: Nice bead appearance, simple to use "drag rod", better shelf life and easier arc starts than 7018.

Lampshader t1_j0yhnr4 wrote

The annoying part is setting up a work space with ventilation, screens, no flammable materials, etc.

It's quite a bit more involved than, say, drilling a hole or using a hot glue gun.

But yeah, if you have the suitable garage space, it's not rocket science!

NuclearWasteland t1_j12dur1 wrote

This is the "annoying" part I was referring to. Eventually I'd like to have a space just for welding, grinding, anything that will spark, all of it ventilated and away from explody stuff. That's a luxury for me, and an impossibility for many people so yeah, stick is simple, and a GREAT way to learn, but to be safe about it there's other steps involved, and with it raining most of the year and the stuff that sparks would damage in the limited indoor space, it's a hassle and checking the weather report for a good portion of the year. Summer, yeah, that's easy, just keep it away from the grass and hydrate, every other part of the year, pain in the bits.