Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Spare_Interaction_10 t1_j1xa4zv wrote

That's not popcorn it will not scrape off. Sand it down then skim the ceiling out

EntasaurusWrecked t1_j1xd52q wrote

Don’t scrape until you get it checked for asbestos. Mesothelioma isn’t pleasant.

Big-Spend-2915 t1_j1xtm13 wrote

It's just drywall mud.

EntasaurusWrecked t1_j1xvdcn wrote

You don’t know that, and I’m currently acquainted with someone with mesothelioma, so I urge caution

Big-Spend-2915 t1_j1z9lmr wrote

It's how it is done. You take drywall mud, and you mix it with water. Take a mop looking device and put it into the bucket, then put it onto the ceiling. Then pull down.
Another way is to use a sponge. Another way is to use a tile grout float. It was a fairly common texture technique.

EntasaurusWrecked t1_j208zs8 wrote

Artex- unless you installed it, you don’t know what it is without testing

Big-Spend-2915 t1_j20b04a wrote

Have you ever done this style of texture. I bet not. Have you even done any drywall work at all.

EntasaurusWrecked t1_j22ns85 wrote

Why are you so invested in arguing against a simple test in a reasonable situation that can prevent catastrophic lung damage? I never said you were wrong. We can both be right. Those are ways to do the job. There are other common ways to do the same job, and unless you installed it, you don’t know for sure. Risking asbestosis/mesothelioma for want of convenience is not reasonable, in my opinion. Good night..

SixtyTwoNorth t1_j20ys05 wrote

Guess what used to be a common additive to drywall mud...

TurdFu t1_j20ywwi wrote

The drywall mud is typically where asbestos is found. If the construction falls in the years when asbestos was used, might as well get it tested.

kharmatika OP t1_j1xalyq wrote

Thanks for your response! Do you know what this kind of ceiling is called? I can’t find anything that looks like it and I need to see some DIY vids on it

Spare_Interaction_10 t1_j1xg4o4 wrote

That pattern is from a texture mop/brush. I would call your ceiling a "swirled ceiling ". There's a few different types, knock down,swirl, skip trowel, popcorn , orange peel and... I forgot .
I would sand , skim ,sand, prime with a drywall primer then paint it. Or call a professional

Builder2014 t1_j1z733n wrote

Stiple.

plastic bag over a sponge or float would create the effect.

ArltheCrazy t1_j1zdl90 wrote

I call it “mop head” cause that’s kinda how you make it

kharmatika OP t1_j1zhten wrote

Found out it’s apparently called “stomp” because the brush is “stomped” on the ceiling.

kharmatika OP t1_j1xcr3k wrote

Okay so I learned that this is called Stomp Ceiling, and it looks like it should actually straighten out pretty easily with a scraper. Not as deep as spray on ceilings, but that’s actually fine by me.

Thanks for responding tho!

Kaosinor t1_j1zlq3q wrote

I've always known it as slap texture.