Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Carpenterdon t1_j1qe1ji wrote

Contrary to others here, if it were me, and it was 7 years ago when we bought our home...If you are replacing the pump, replace the check valve and pipes as well. The entire run of a new PVC output is considerably less than the pump itself. This is especially true if you have galvanized steel pipe. That can easily corrode from the inside while looking fine on the outside.

Just because it doesn't run much does "Not" mean there is life left in it. What it really means for a sump pump is the bearings may be stuck in place, float switch may be stuck from lack of motion, the impeller may be jammed by dirt/debris. All of which could mean a flooded basement. The cost of a pump is cheap compared to repairing a flood. And because it is dry does not mean you shouldn't worry about it. Especially with our constantly changing climate. Hell who'd have though Texans would have needed bigger furnaces and snow shovels just a few years ago...

I'd replace the pump, the check valve and all piping. And if you sump doesn't run on its own dump a five gallon bucket of water in the sump pit a couple times a year to test and clear and debris that can get into the sump.

Blunttack t1_j1qhzac wrote

The last time I went to our big box hardware store for it, PVC was very expensive, and a lot was sold out. I get it though. My counter offer would be to replace all the piping if the thing ran all the time. With it never running, seems overkill to redo it all, especially for a weekend warrior. My two cents. Course every 3-5 years I pay a guy to essentially drill out our iron pipes from the 70s to the street at the first signs of slow drains… so maybe I’m not the best option.