Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

impossible2throwaway t1_j4zc1vb wrote

This is likely a #4 finish you are trying to replicate. The steps involved are here

You probably need step 3, possibly step 2 if the scratches are deep.

You may be able to just buy the non-woven pad and use that alone link (or with a handle)

I would try to find 3"x1" flap wheels with a 1/4" shaft that could be used in a cordless hand drill. You should be able to find these in 60 grit sand paper, and medium grit non-woven (maroon) link. Be sure to move the rotation of the tool with the grain.

This is probably the least expensive method, but definitely not the ideal - the the final result will correspond with the hand skills of the person attempting it.

The_Great_Skeeve t1_j50pjta wrote

I would recommend something finer than 60 grit, as that is the starting point for non polished stainless. Did stainless steel polishing years ago in a commercial metal shop.

The_Great_Skeeve t1_j50qbaa wrote

I would suggest just step 4, with the grain. Will be a bit of work. When using a flap wheel, unless you are experienced, it can lead to overheating and leave discoloration from the heating.

jeffersonairmattress t1_j50tzih wrote

Fabricator here. You are right- red scotchbrite pad on a linear (pneumatic stroke) sander or handheld pad or scotchbrite belt on a belt sander. Use a length of wood as a fence to keep your strokes parallel. This garbage cladding is super thin so you are right to warn of burning it so if using a flap wheel, keep it moving. These Scratches are about as shallow as this #4 brushed finish and there’s no need to knock it down with 60 grit (which is far too coarse unless starting with a casting)