Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

obrecht72 t1_j5g9sii wrote

You sink your post in wet concrete and let it dry that way.

noncongruent t1_j5gfeci wrote

Setting wood posts in concrete isn't legal everywhere, some cities prohibit it because the posts rot in the concrete if the climate is wet enough.

Traveling_Carpenter t1_j5gll1j wrote

For a fence? The only restriction on fences I’m aware of in the model code (IRC) is height. Jurisdictions often put restrictions on fence setbacks and modify the IRC height, but a restriction on galvanized fence posts being set in concrete?

noncongruent t1_j5gsv6c wrote

Yep. There are cities in my area, DFW, Texas, that require galvanized posts in concrete. There's a lot of clay in this area which holds moisture, so wood posts tend to rot enough to blow over in a storm in just five or ten years. OP should check to see if their AHJ has particular fencing requirements, what they've got now might be because of restrictive local fence codes.

betcher73 t1_j5gxig9 wrote

That’s a metal post in concrete. I know they look similar l.

noncongruent t1_j5h198f wrote

I know that OP's picture shows a metal post in concrete, though the drilled wooden post is definitely not a way I've seen before. Typically you'd use a full-length galvanized post and use brackets to connect the wooden fence panels. Not sure why OP's was done that way, seems to be extra work with no real gain.

Dantheinfant t1_j5j9h2t wrote

There's no wood set in the concrete. If you look closely the wood stops and what's in the concrete is a metal pole. This pole was set in the concrete when it was wet so the person you're replying to is correct.

Dantheinfant t1_j5j9pj0 wrote

This is correct. I'm amazed that so many people think a person would waste so much time and effort to just drill down into that tube of concrete so close to the side without it crumbling to bits.