Submitted by shathecomedian t3_10qa4ew in DIY

I recently moved into a very small apartment and I'm not sure how old the building is but I only have a two prong outlet in the bedroom, there's a couple of GFCI outlets in the kitchen. I researched this topic and ive been seeing conflicting reports on whether the two prong outlet is safe enough to plug a PC in or if replacing it with a GFCI outlet would be at all better. Rewiring the house if of course not an option since I'm just renting.

I mainly want to know if there's any benefit to replacing the outlet with a GFCI one or if there's little to no benefit. I'm only worried about protecting the devices and what I've heard ground is only for protecting yourself. I've also heard the argument that a surge protector wouldn't work on a two prong outlet, or atleast the protection it provides is reduced.

Any and all input is appreciated

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CookiePush t1_j6osrgb wrote

Grounding is a critical element required for proper surge protection. In regard to the question about whether surge protectors work on ungrounded outlets, the answer is “no.” Surge protection equipment typically uses components called metal oxide varistors (MOVs) to divert excess current into the ground line. An ungrounded outlet does not have this third ground wire, therefore there is no place for the surge protector to divert excess current.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pepkz wrote

is it possible for a two prong outlets to be grounded? i can always get a tester to see, or just ask the landlord if the wiring has been setup for ground before

ChessLord144 t1_j6phhcw wrote

Yes. If the box is grounded either through conduit or older wiring. You can check by installing a two to three adapter, making sure to put the screw through the tab, and then use a "circuit analyzer", also called an outlet tester, to see if there is a ground.

Bubbagumpredditor t1_j6osdax wrote

You're probably ok, but if something goes wrong it will go really wrong. You can get those 2 prong to 3 prong asldapters that have the attachment to screw into the wall outlet screw to provide grounding, that will theoretically fix the problem, if the outlet conduit is grounded. That's what I have done in the past

shathecomedian OP t1_j6ouvzg wrote

Hm I've seen sources that say it's only purpose is to secure the plug into a wall, it won't provide ground but I'm not a professional

DK_Art t1_j6ow19o wrote

>Hm I've seen sources that say it's only purpose is to secure the plug into a wall, it won't provide ground but I'm not a professional

The post-er said, "if the outlet conduit is grounded," this will ground your connection as well. If the outlet is not grounded, it will only serve as you have commented - it will deliver power and allow your machine to run, but no surges will be diverted to the grounding circuit since there is none.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6phg1p wrote

ok, is there anything i can do to check if the outlet is grounded? i will talk to the landlord to see what he thinks

MakesMyHeadHurt t1_j6oymi3 wrote

Like DK said, if the outlet itself is grounded you would be fine, but it may not be. You could, depending on your setup, run your own wire from the grounding screw part to a conductive metal rod outside that you hammer into the ground. Make sure you use a fairly thick gauge wire.

−7

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pei7y wrote

thats actualy not impossible, there is a window very close to the outlet and im on the first floor, do you have a picture or video that would better describe this?

marigolds6 t1_j6owf04 wrote

Basically, by using the 2-prong, you run a higher risk of your PC being destroyed by excess current. A surge protector will not help. A three prong adaptor will probably not help (unless the outlet box itself is grounded).

The GFCI will protect you if your PC gets energized by the circuit (e.g. if you have a metal case and the metal case gets energized).

A GFCI won't protect your PC against a power surge though. Your equipment would still get fried. (This is why an ungrounded GFCI carries a "No Equipment Ground" sticker.)

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pf7pr wrote

hm i see, is is possible the outlet box is grounded or maybe the houise was wired for ground in the past? i just assumed the two prong outlet is ungrounded but i dont know too much.

iztheguy t1_j6otxa3 wrote

Don't do it.

A ground fault interrupt is totally unnecessary unless your PC is outdoors or 6 feet from the bathtub.

If your PC power supply has a grounded plug, use a grounded outlet, and make sure it's actually grounded.

Ok_Gate_7323 t1_j6p8wcv wrote

That is the point of his post. Its a 2 prong outlet meaning it is not grounded.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pfo20 wrote

so is it not possible that a two prong outlet is grounded, regardless if the house was ever rewired for ground?

ICYaLata t1_j6pi19f wrote

The GFI will protect your equipment by killing power if any voltage leaks to ground. The ground wire is just an alternative patch back to the main board bonded to the neutral. Thus its not "grounded", but will be disconnected in the event any leak to ground is detected.

PATALIM t1_j6oyfre wrote

Here in the Philippines we have 2 prong outlet as standard and we just usually break off the ground prong off. BTW we are on 220v 60 Hz. -- Just saying not a pro.

Outofmilkthrowaway t1_j6p7bz3 wrote

Bad idea. Ground it.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pficq wrote

and how would i be able to ground it

Outofmilkthrowaway t1_j6pgq9q wrote

Check your countries national electric code for what is safe and legal. I recommend consulting an electrician.

Keep in mind that if you have a house with two prong outlets, you may run into something called shared neutrals as well. Coming from someone who has the exact same issue as you.. I would do some research. This is more of a notice if you are doing the work yourself. You may find that many of the outlets share a neutral. GFCI on one outlet may trip something all the way across the house.. etc.

I re-ran many of our outlets, GFCI on some of them, but not on one's I care about.

I also recommend doing research on GFCI in general. GFCI is mechanical. It fails sometimes. It takes time (while brief) to interrupt that circuit. In many cases GFCI is up to code without a ground, and it works. But there is no true substitute to doing it the right way.

Safety could definitely be an issue here as well. Depending on age this could be knob and tube wiring which is unsafe and a pain to work with.

Obi_Sirius t1_j6pg32x wrote

I've got a last resort for you. I've lived in a couple houses with no grounded outlets. I plug my UPS into one of those 3 prong adapters then run a #12 wire from that loop that's on the adapter to a water pipe. This will not guarantee a ground but it's your best best. If you're on or near the ground floor run it out a window to an outside pipe or drive a metal spike into the ground and connect to that. I once used a metal coat hanger as a rod and it was sufficient enough to ground a trailer. I stopped melting extension cords.

The reason I say a water pipe will not be a guarantee is because if there's plastic pipe anywhere in the line it will break the circuit. Hot water pipe might be best as the water heater will definitely be grounded. A cold water line is the typical ground point but it's more likely to have plastic from repairs.

"Ground" literally means that circuit is connected to the ground somewhere. If you are in something like a basement apartment in a house look in the flower bed outside for an existing ground rod. Quite often you'll find them near telephone / cable TV hookups.

I have lived a year in my current place where I have not had grounded plugs or the option of running my own ground and I've already lost one hard drive to a simple power outage.

L_Jade t1_j6pd66s wrote

Just don’t do it. Not worth the cost of a new pc.

−1

[deleted] t1_j6os3p9 wrote

[deleted]

−5

OriginalSuggestion87 t1_j6p7282 wrote

You absolutely can replace a 2-prong outlet with a 3-prong GFCI marked "no equipment ground." That's code-compliant in most of the US.

As others have said, though, you still won't get the benefit of a proper ground, just the ability to plug a 3-prong cable in and a degree of personal shock protection.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pfe6q wrote

right, i did look into the gfci outlet. so basically the gfci only protects me and no extra protection on the equipment