Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shathecomedian OP t1_j6ouvzg wrote

Hm I've seen sources that say it's only purpose is to secure the plug into a wall, it won't provide ground but I'm not a professional

DK_Art t1_j6ow19o wrote

>Hm I've seen sources that say it's only purpose is to secure the plug into a wall, it won't provide ground but I'm not a professional

The post-er said, "if the outlet conduit is grounded," this will ground your connection as well. If the outlet is not grounded, it will only serve as you have commented - it will deliver power and allow your machine to run, but no surges will be diverted to the grounding circuit since there is none.

shathecomedian OP t1_j6phg1p wrote

ok, is there anything i can do to check if the outlet is grounded? i will talk to the landlord to see what he thinks

MakesMyHeadHurt t1_j6oymi3 wrote

Like DK said, if the outlet itself is grounded you would be fine, but it may not be. You could, depending on your setup, run your own wire from the grounding screw part to a conductive metal rod outside that you hammer into the ground. Make sure you use a fairly thick gauge wire.

−7

shathecomedian OP t1_j6pei7y wrote

thats actualy not impossible, there is a window very close to the outlet and im on the first floor, do you have a picture or video that would better describe this?