Submitted by bunnymama0926 t3_10nvfkk in DIY

I swapped out the bathtub drain, and now I have no pressure from the faucet. There aren't any aerators on the faucet at all, and the cartridges are practically new. It worked just fine until I swapped out that drain. The likes are clear. Tapped on all the pipes and all other faucets in the house work just fine. This bathtub is becoming my nemesis. I've done everything possible it seems.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OrphanFeast87 t1_j6b2xqn wrote

Hey. I just want to clarify- are you saying you replaced the drain grate/insert in your bathtub, and now the water pressure from the tap is weak?

On its face, drainage and water feed shouldn't impact each other outside of a closed system (which a tap to tub to drain is not).

Is it both the hot and cold that are now weak? City or well water? Have you flushed your water heater in the last year? Let's see if we can get this figured out.

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6b3lsx wrote

That's correct. The drain grate/insert was replaced and bam. No pressure. I know it should not affect the drainage and feed, which is odd.

Both hot and cold are low, but only in the bath tub itself. The bathroom faucet is just fine, as well as the toilet.

We are on well water and the well pump was just replaced this past week ( the coupling was busted ).

I have not flushed the water heater. How does one do that?

OrphanFeast87 t1_j6b8txw wrote

So replacing the pump (I have a well) can cause a temporary increase in sediment. Do you have aerators on your tub tap? Unscrew it and check for a clog.

To drain your heater- kill the power at your breaker for both the well pump and water heater, then run the hot water until it's empty / cold. On the heater, at the bottom, will be a 3/4" threaded tap for a garden hose. Connect one and put the other end in a drain. Let.ot empty, turn the pump on to refill the heater, and empty again. Do that until it's clear. With aerator on the tub clear, flip power back on.

Replacing a pump causes a change down in your well, which can stir up sediment. Small amounts build up quickly. Odds are it'll be shiny (micah) or red (clay/iron). Report back down the road when you try it out

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6b94s4 wrote

Thanks I'll try that. No aerators at all, but I think it's all a come and go. We've already had to fix the washer several times with the rinse timer and purchasing filter screens. Hoping this passes soon! Thanks for the help!

OrphanFeast87 t1_j6bdjtp wrote

Are you referring to the little semi-dome mesh filters that sit between your water lines and intake ports on your washing machine?

Sounds like sediment issues with your well.

Any idea how deep the pump sits and how deep the well is- that's to ask how far from the top and the bottom of the actual water the pump sits? I spent a few years dealing with about every well issues one could have, so your situation pulls hard lol

Edit: where geographically are you situated? Do you have a dry season that impacts local aquifers and tables? If those are the filters you're referring to, what are you seeing when placing them? Get any silt after filling a tub?

It's late and my wife's and my 12th anniversary, so I'm going to get to bed l, but I'll check back tomorrow. Enjoy your night!

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6bdu8z wrote

Our well is 220 ft deep. And I was thinking sediment too.

We are in southern Midwest, the Ozarks.

moldyfishfinger t1_j6b50om wrote

Not to ask the dumb question first and be that guy, but did you turn back on the valves at the tub?

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6b6mpn wrote

šŸ˜ never turned them off but thanks for checking. I know sometimes that can be a "oh yeah!!!" Moment

BdaBng t1_j6b6xp4 wrote

Is it a tub with a shower or just a tub? Iā€™m wonderful you accidentally bent the actuator to turn the shower on and itā€™s partially stuck between tub and shower mode? If thatā€™s not it is there an old linkage with a lever somewhere that used to activate the drain stopper?

If you havenā€™t flushed the water heater in several years probably better to just leave it as is. Some risk

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6b8xdd wrote

I was thinking the same. But when I pulled the old drain out, it was literally just a corroded drain, and no lever at all. Just a crap ton of hair and blockage.

cbryancu t1_j6bcjst wrote

new well can often stir up sediment and that can get stuck in aerators and sometimes in valves. I'd pull valve out and check to see if any debris stuck in it...flush it out.

the hotwater heater should have a faucet at bottom. Hook a hose up to that and run it into a drain or outside. Open and leave open for 3-5 min

Ken-_-Adams t1_j6ck7rq wrote

Is the faucet connected by a flexible pipe? Could it have been crushed or bent during the work?

bunnymama0926 OP t1_j6dgv8j wrote

The faucet wasn't touched during any work. The sediment from the well is most likely the issue