Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SatanLifeProTips t1_j64nimq wrote

If you get a free standing heat pump, get a 2 hose model. 1 hose models are for stupid folks who don’t understand that they are vacuuming out the very air they are trying to heat or cool.

Media makes one with a fake giant single hose that is actually split into 2 hoses.

But a warning. As good as the modern inverter based (!) portables are I don’t think they deal with condenser icing very well. The smallest mini split heat pump you can buy is by far the best solution. Aging Wheels on youtube went through the install of a mini-split. He’s pretty inept but overly confident and still figured it out just fine. It will outlive the portable unit, is quieter and is far more energy efficient.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is an inverter model. I can’t stress how big of a deal that feature is. It’s half the power consumption by the time the dust settles.

I am heating a 3400 sq fr shop to 70F with a pair of 24k BTU mini splits and they are brilliant. I’m pretty sure one can do the job at the freezing mark. I am monitoring the power consumption and they average 800W continuous draw each. It’s nothing. The inverter allows the compressors to turn slow. The ‘low’ mode is super efficient because you have a massive amount of radiator area per cooling or heating. All the fans throttle down and it just pours the heat out.